Aspire One 522 screen monitor not functioning

case
case Member Posts: 4 New User

The monitor has quit on my netbook (Windows 7, Aspire One 522) The machine works  when attached to an external monitor. I have tried the BIOS update but the monitor is still not responding. Anything else I can try before I get a different machine for my travels?

Thanks

John

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi John:

I had what seems like the same problem with the AO722. It unfortunately turned out to be a break that developed in the display & camera ribbon cable near the hinge area --- it was intermittent at first but eventually the lid display wouldn't work anymore (the infamous black screen problem that isn't fixable with a bios upgrade). I was forced to use either an external monitor or hdmi TV to work with the system until I finally took the laptop apart (a royal pita, removing snap-in keyboard was the worse part) and replaced the ribbon with an Amazon.com part. The ribbon part number is marked on the ribbon connector. 

Right now, I try to avoid opening and closing the lid too much to reduce stress on the ribbon near the hinge area --- the ribbon takes a tortuous path through this hinge --- I'm surprised the original lasted as long as it did. I also covered the keyboard snap-ins with tape so it's easier to remove if i have to take it apart again --- hope not! I use black electrician tape to actually tape the top edge of the keyboard to the main body of the computer --- not noticeable.  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

Have you tried the display toggle keys, Fn+F5 and Fn+F6? Does the Win7 control panel multiple display setting detect the internal screen monitor when connected to the external display?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• case

JackE

Thanks for your reply. The Multiple Display Setting does not detect the internal screen. It shows only the external generic pnp monitor. There is no setting available to enable another monitor in the Control Panel Screen Resolution Window. The Fn F5 shows a sinle monitor icon and Fn F6 toggle clears it.

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Hi John:

I had what seems like the same problem with the AO722. It unfortunately turned out to be a break that developed in the display & camera ribbon cable near the hinge area --- it was intermittent at first but eventually the lid display wouldn't work anymore (the infamous black screen problem that isn't fixable with a bios upgrade). I was forced to use either an external monitor or hdmi TV to work with the system until I finally took the laptop apart (a royal pita, removing snap-in keyboard was the worse part) and replaced the ribbon with an Amazon.com part. The ribbon part number is marked on the ribbon connector. 

Right now, I try to avoid opening and closing the lid too much to reduce stress on the ribbon near the hinge area --- the ribbon takes a tortuous path through this hinge --- I'm surprised the original lasted as long as it did. I also covered the keyboard snap-ins with tape so it's easier to remove if i have to take it apart again --- hope not! I use black electrician tape to actually tape the top edge of the keyboard to the main body of the computer --- not noticeable.  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• case

Thanks again JackE

That could be the root of the problem here as the machine did have what I thought was a a minor bump before the problem began. I will wait a few more days in case there are any other ideas coming forward and I will likely just go out and replace it with a used one for $100-150. I only use it when travelling, which I am doing now so I won't go to the trouble of trying to do any repairs. They are a miserable machine to do any simple changes with so....

John

This discussion has been closed.