Aspire 5745PG - NVIDIA driver from acer support site will not install

citrus
citrus Member Posts: 5 New User

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 on my 5745PG.  I installed most of the drivers from the acer support site, except the NVIDIA display driver:

NVIDIAVGA Driver8.17.12.6619

This driver will not install -- instead it complains that no compatible hardware was found.  Indeed, examining the setup files shows that the hardware ID of my NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A29&SUBSYS_04651025) does not appear anywhere in the nvac.inf, so there's no way it will install.  (I have already installed the Intel HD graphics driver, which I'm sure is a prerequisite).

There is another driver labelled NVIDIA, but strangely when I install this the only thing it installs is "NVIDIA High Definition Audio", nothing to do with the graphics adapter.

NVIDIA

VGA Driver VGA(M)8.16.11.8986

Is there any way to successfully install the NVIDIA driver and software on a new installation of Windows 7?

Best Answer

Answers

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Good day

Go to the bios and change your graphics mode to dedicated/ discreet, save the settings and then install the driver. I also further advise that you download the latest driver from the Nvidia website itself, version 314.07: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.07-whql-driver.html

Regards,

Freeza

• citrus

Unfortunately BIOSes after 1.15 have locked the graphics setting to Switchable.

Do you recommend I downgrade to old BIOS, or do you know of any way around this?

• citrus

@freeza: Thanks, ultimately I did downgrade to BIOS 1.11, switched to discrete mode and installed the latest NVIDIA drivers, and it seems to be working fine.

This discussion has been closed.