Applications cannot connect via WiFi (Aspire ONE 722)

stealth57
stealth57 Member Posts: 1 New User

My 722 works perfectly at my house which has WiFi via ATT U-Verse.  However, when I take it to my mother-in-law's house (also ATT U-Verse), the laptop shows a WiFi connection in the icon tray but none of the Internet applications (IE, Firefox, Skype) can connect. They just keep spinning their cursors.

The two other computers in that house work fine, a Toshiba laptop using WiFi and a Lenovo desktop using CAT5.  Since at least one other computer is fine with the WiFi, I have to believe it is something with the 722.

Anyone have any ideas why the 722 works fine in one location but is completely lost in the other?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer

Does the tray indicate it connected to the network but no internet access? Or does it indicate a network connection is available but won't connect? Who set up your mother-in-law's router? 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Putpin
    Putpin Member Posts: 5 New User
    Had same problem after installing Windows 8.1, went into network adapters, search my computer, selected an older driver not the Microsoft and this fix my problem, but I would really like a new Wi-Fi card with faster speeds, does anybody have a good card in mind for the 722-0473
  • DarrenHill
    DarrenHill Member Posts: 37 New User

The other thing it could perhaps be is if there is MAC address control or filtering set up on the router where it's not working. If that is in place, the Acer will be able to connect to the router but not actually log into it to get network access and so you won't get anywhere via things like IE or Skype.

If such security is switched on, you would need to add your netbook MAC address to the allowed list on the router.

This discussion has been closed.