Acer V7-482PG - SSD being used? (ExpressCache enabled)

Dieter2
Dieter2 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I have just bought an Acer Aspire V7-482pg. This is setup with a 500GB HD & 22GB SSD for caching.  As performance is not what I expected and booting takes about as long as with a regular HD, I started wondering if the SSD is actually doing something. I have been following usage of the SSD a bit via Task Manager and there appears to be no activity what so ever on the SSD (0% non-stop).

ExpressCache is active and appears to be running without issues.

Via Disc manager the SSD  looks fine.

Is this normal?

• If no, what could be the issue?
  • If yes, is it possible to check the real usage or advantage?

I'm still using the inital setup => no HW changes + Windows 8.1. Only changes which I can image having an impact:

• removed some of the Acer programs as these pre-installed programs tend to irritate me. I don't remember which ones I deleted, but the only Acer programs remaining are; Acer Power Management, Acer Recovery Management, Acer Screen Grasp, Acer Theft Shield, Acer Touch Shield.
  • Installed Classical Shell

Kind regards,

Dieter

Answers

• Ethos
    Ethos Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter

HI

Just throw off the crappy HD with small SSD sell it and purchase 128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB SSD mSATA .. 

I sold HDD for 30 quid and I sold little SSD for 25 and Got som chash back and I purchased 256GB plextor M5M for 115

And now system flies ! 

Now I purchased another M5M 256GB for 107 (amazon taking its time ! still waiting for delivery!) and will be installing second and will create RAID 0 so my system will be in lightning speed! 

Can't WAIT !!

[word filter avoidance] 

• Dieter2
    Dieter2 Member Posts: 2 New User

I was indeed considering this option, but first I want to see how it behaves with the current HD+SSD setup. Mainly because I need +- 4-500 GB of storage and a full SSD is still rather pricey solution (+I would need to convince my boss I really need it Smiley Tongue). 

As mentioned, so far not that happy and even unsure if the SSD actually does something

• Ethos
    Ethos Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter

I have Samsung HDD 1TB 9mm in external enclosure USB 3.0 so .. it is my mobile storage !

I wish I could get thin Wi-Fi enclosure 

This discussion has been closed.