Acer V5-573g ssd bug possible BIOS/UEFI issue?

plogtintin
plogtintin Member Posts: 17 New User

Hi,

I have tried to use a samsung 840 evo 500 gb ssd in my computer and everytime I reboot the computer I get a boot device not found error. Usually a cold boot fixes this but any restart of the computer will create the no boot device issue.

SSD and bios F/W are the latest ones and  I have tried both a clone from hdd and clean install approach.

I sent back the samsung ssd thinking that the problem is with the ssd I bhought a Intel 530 240 gb ssd instead.

The same problem came with this ssd. No boot device found during reboot (and occasionally on a cold start too). Installing windows generates no problems but when restarting it for the first or second time the problems start.

I found this thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/44258 stating:

"All,

We have successfully recreated the issue.  The cause appears to be that some BIOS implementations do not support a newer ATA feature called “Device Initiated Power Management (DIPM) for Software Setting Preservation (SSP)”.  Intel® has recently added this feature to the firmware for newer SSD models.

We are working on a firmware update to disable the feature for the 530 mSATA drives.  Implementing a  firmware update is a complicated process that requires extensive compatibility testing.  It will take some time to complete the testing.

We will update this thread when the firmware update is available.

Thank you for your patience while we work through the testing process.”

Is it possible to get a BIOS update so that DIPM for SSP is supported? Or is it already?

My A-data sx900 works ok with the computer but its to thick (9mm) instead of the 7mm.

Answers

• MichaelLonewolf
    MichaelLonewolf Member Posts: 4 New User
    What you might want to do temporarily is put in a mechanical HDD, and have the SSD as a boot/file drive meaning that the SSD will boot your computer up faster, then the mechanical HDD will take over the Windows chores. I know you bought the SSD for faster total computing, but till that new firmware update is available, this will allow you to use the drive in your system. Also don't forget to make sure trim is turned on.
  • DirtySanchez
    DirtySanchez Member Posts: 3 New User

@plogtintin: Can you please respond since you`ve opened your notebook, what size SSD does it accept and if it does have an mSata slot? Thank you.

• plogtintin
    I can add both a 7 and 9mm ssd. They seem to fit. But I'm using a 7mm now since the original hdd has that size. Yes it has a msata slot.
  • DirtySanchez
    DirtySanchez Member Posts: 3 New User

What I meant was is it a 2,5" or 1,8"? But I´m pretty much shure now that it is an 2,5. Thanks.

• plogtintin

Update:

I installed new ssd firmware dc32 and the reboot issue has stopped.

However, occasionally a cold start creates the issue now (no boot device found).

I fixed the issue by doing a "ssd power cycling" i.e. waiting 20 min on bios screen, turning off the computer and removing the ssd.

It works right now. But im afraid that the problem will come back since it has done this several times.

Edit: I installed windows through legacy boot last time (dont know if that helped, the problem dissapeared after I removed and installed the ssd).

• plogtintin

Update:

After last reply I turned off my computer and it did not find the boot device after that. I switched back to my hdd and bought windows 8.1 pro using my 70% student discount and made a clean install.

The computer is working perfectly now.

Too bad I cant use SSD in this laptop...

• plogtintin

Update again:

Using a toshiba msata ssd 128gb as a boot drive works perfectly while using the intel 530 ssd as a 2nd harddrive for files in AHCI mode.

However, the computer would recognize the 530 ssd as sata 3/gbs instead of 6/gbs while the msata ssd worked in 6/gbs. As-ssd bench showed that the intel ssd only got 200/mbs read write.

I turned of the computer removed the drives and restored bios settings. After that i installed them again and now both drives works in 6/gbs.

I´ve never had so much problems with a computer haha!

I´m still wondering if this is a bios bug since I still cant install the OS on the regular sata drive.

• djk314
    djk314 Member Posts: 9 New User

I've got the same problem on V7 582PG windows 8.1, cold boot make my hd0 Intel E330 SSD invisible, my system is on hd1 MSata, need a reboot each time to see my drive HD0...... All is up to date.

• plogtintin
    Booting from the Toshiba msata ssd still works good. Fast 10 seconds boot up with fast boot of. However, the Intel 530 ssd is recognised as sata II i.e 3gbs instead of full sata III 6gbs speeds.

Any Acer technician that can give any info about this?
  • plogtintin

New update:

Unscreweing the back cover and booting without any ssds´and ressettings bios enables the 6gb/s for the intel drive.

However, when putting the back cover screws back on it goes back to 3/gbs again. Without screws it is 6gb/s.

Why is that?

• bicaqiu
    bicaqiu Member Posts: 1 New User

i hit the same issue with my 537P-9899. My ssd is intel 520 240GB. Pleas update the thread when the fix is available. Thanks!

• visz963
    visz963 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, who could you instal an Msata drive to acer v5 573g?

I opened the computer and yes there is a slot but simlpy there is not enough space to put it in : the 30 mm width of an msata drive is conflicting with the slot next to it.

Please help

Regards,

• Win8Acer
    Win8Acer Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi, have you had any success with the Bios update or used the "BIOS     Acer     BIOS     2.24     3.4 MB     2013/11/18" ?

I have had success using a Kingston 240 GB (SV300S37A/240G), as I believe that it does not use DIPM as do Intel and Samsung.   Please let me know how it all worked out for you.  I really like the V5-573G model, but am having issues with Bluetooth not working when Wireless LAN is transferring data.

“Device Initiated Power Management (DIPM) for Software Setting Preservation (SSP)”

• plogtintin
    Hi. I have always used the latest 2.24 bios. I still have the problem but sometimes it reverts back to 6 Gbs.
  • plogtintin
    I have pictures of my computer opened with both ssd compartments installed. I can email them to you if you want.
  • plogtintin
    Btw. I tried to replicate your problem with bluetooth but it's working for me.
  • Win8Acer

plogtintin, what bluetooth hardware are you using ?  And what version of Windows are you using?

I have issues with Windows 8.1 (Windows 8.0 works well). I am using a Logitech M557 Bluettooth Wireless headset and a  Rapoo RP-H6060 Bluetooth Wireless headset.

When I am accessing the Internet or doing a download, the bluetooth mouse stops responding, once the network traffic stops, the mouse works again.

• Win8Acer

plogtintin

Thanks for posting. 

I forgot to ask, if you have upgraded to Windows 8.1, did you install the drivers from the Acer driver download web site?

Windows 8.1 and bluetooth seems to run better if I do not install these drivers.  Except that Bluetooth audio does not work for me in Windows 8.1

First there is a bluetooth audio driver issue, uninstalling and deleting the installed driver removed the faulty item from Device Manager, but then Windows 8.1/Device Manager could not find the Bluetooth audio hardware anymore, and never installed any drivers, even after a reboot.  But at least the mouse kept working.

• plogtintin

Hi I just downloaded a movie to the computer using wifi and during the same time transferred songs and pictures by bluetooth to phone and another computer.

However, What I did was buying windows 8.1 pro using my student discount and then downloaded all the 8.1 drivers from acers website (except nvidia graphic drivers and all intel ones since they can be found on their respective websites with never versions).

I did this because I had to reformat the computer several times per week when I had the boot device not found issue and it took me forever to get the computer up and running again (over 1gb of windows update files).

With the 8.1 pro that I put on a usb stick as a boot media it took very short time to install and there was only 20mb of updates from windows update. Also I gained 10gb of space compared to the original one.

• plogtintin

8.0.1.305 is my bluetooth driver I dont have any bluetooth headset on me at the moment but I will see if I can get a hold of one and try it later on to help you.

I actually like this computer, but there is some problems that really shouldn´t be here i.e. ssd bugs. But next time I will probably go for another brand.

This discussion has been closed.