Acer Iconia W700 Wi-Fi problem

Options
2»

Answers

• spkrgeek
    spkrgeek Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Thanks Raffi.  I did try your suggestion earlier and still no luck.  The built in Qualcomm Atheros wifi connection still drops every 5-10 minutes.

Here is a complete list of the changes I've made:

1. Downloaded the latest Qualcomm Atheros wifi / BT driver from the Acer support site.
    2. Ran WIndows Update to update  Windows 8 with all recommneded patches
    3. Set Device Manger > Network Adaptors > Qualcomm Atheros AR5BMD222 > Power Managerment > "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" to unchecked.
    4. Set Battery icon > more power options > power saving / balanced / high performance > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > wireless adaptor settings  > power saving mode  > on battery to "Maximum Performance" (I tried the other options as well)
    5. I'v tried a total of 4 different WiFI networks at home / work and the problem happens on each.

I did try a USB Wireless N Adaptor from D-link and the network connection using the USB adaptor has been stable for about 2 hours now.  I think this indicates that the problem is with the built-in Qualcomm Atheros adaptor and not with Win 8.   

I'm going to try to completely remove and then reinstall the Qualcomm Atheros drivers.   

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 84 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓
    Options

I would like to contribute to this thread.

I have tried the following steps which have resolved the issue for me:

Download the latest driver from Acer Support site.

- Please make sure the version of the Wirelesss Lan Driver to be downloaded  is: 10.0.0.217

As this is a combo dirver it will also upgrade the bluetooth to 8.0.0.214. Hence the big filesize 220MB.

- Go into control panel and remove the current wireless lan + bluetooth drivers.

- Once removed you can go through and install the newest downloaded driver.

- Restart tablet after installation

• Crazy9000
    Crazy9000 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

My W700 has been working without interuption for the past half hour now. I did not try Asus' driver after some people in this thread said that didn't work, so I found an alternative version. Maybe some people still having problems could try what I did:

-Google " Qualcomm Atheros AR5BMD222"

-The first result is a http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=72&system=6 , so go there

- Click the "click for download" button, which takes a few mins then gives the download

- Uninstall the wireless card via device manager, and select the option to delete driver from the PC

- Scan device manager for hardware changes to get it to show up again

- Point device manager to the download (extract it first)

In case that page changes in the future, the file I used is named "win78-10.0.0.75-whql.zip". It sounds like it's an older version, but it seems to be working which is all I care about.

• Raffi
    Raffi Member Posts: 59 Troubleshooter
    Options

After reinstall the driver,if the issue is not fixed,Reinstall the OS if the issue persists

Tablet has to be sent in for warranty repair...

This discussion has been closed.