Acer C710 Chromebook BIOS Change

mchristoffersen
mchristoffersen Member Posts: 1 New User

Has anyone looked into flashing a new BIOS onto the Acer C710 Chromebook? Possibly the BIOS from the Aspire One?

Answers

• frankt
    frankt Member Posts: 9 New User

changing BIOS is for WINDOWS computers.  Chromebooks use the Linux Kernel; Chrome automatically updates the Chromebook upon booting.  No need to fuss with BIOS.  Atemmpting to swap BIOS on a Chromebook just won't work,  Your thinking is out-of-date.

• androsilicious
    androsilicious Member Posts: 15 New User

OP's thinking is out of date? I think not, my friend. 

• Point A: Before I quote you, I want to tell you how wrong you are. The C7 most definitely has a BIOS, we just don't see it. It is hardware locked, which wouldn't be too hard to circumvent. Yes, it is a Linux-based program, but, with a little work and time, one will have no problems flashing a working, modifiable BIOS.

• Point B: "Changing the BIOS is for WINDOWS computers...". No, you're just plain wrong. You can change the BIOS on other Acer Chromebooks, and, for your information, BIOS is not for Windows computers at all. BIOS has nothing to do with the operating system itself, and can be flashed and altered if a person knows how. If I install Ubuntu on a computer, then it is no longer a Windows computer, and I can still work in the BIOS. You're using circular logic.

• Point C: "Chromebooks use the Linux kernel". Well, no **bleep**. ChromeOS is based off the Linux kernel. Everyone knows that. A person can easily manipulate a kernel, or a BIOS for that matter. People have flashed the CR-48's BIOS with no problems, making your point moot.

• Point D: "Chrome automatically updates the Chromebook upon booting...". No, it doesn't. This point is so off-target that I can't help but laugh. All the Chromebook does is verify the operating system upon boot, nothing more. Bypass that, and you're golden.

• Point E: "Attempting to swap BIOS on a Chromebook just won't work...". Again, moot point. Read the above. Also, you don't swap a BIOS, you flash it. 

Now, OP, I want you to know that I am working diligently on trying to flash this BIOS, and many others are, too. You must not lose hope. When it comes to hardware and software, if there's a will, there's a way. You can rest assured, we will triumph. 

• slackware_timc
    slackware_timc Member Posts: 1 New User

I agree with you and want the same results. I want to flash the bios with a usable bios so we can install slackware 14.0 on my acer c7 chromebook. Chromeos is to restrictive for a slackware user.

Please, don't give up, and keep us informed on your progress.

• bcofaz
    bcofaz Member Posts: 3 New User

Just Wondering ? ? ?

Has anyone actually got into the bios on one of these ?

( C710-2847 )

Maybe, ........ If we could get into the bios,   Possibly it just needs the boot settings adjusted or reset ?

This machine (on it now) runs the chrubuntu excellent !  Has added bonus, it has a working bluetooth function !  Showed up with the chrubuntu.

I test drove the chrome for a few days when I first got it.

It just was not what I was comfortable with maybe cute as a smart phone, but I dont like smart phones ether.

I did the utube walk thru and besides taking hours longer than expected, everything did work as described, did not even have to repeat any steps.

BUT !       This is a "work around" !      Mostly Great,       but,        While I did gain Bluetooth everytime I start, it is fairly fast but I must see that warning/verification screen .   AND  for some reason a short while after unplugging the charger..... the touchpad starts acting strange ?    Plug the charger back in and touchpad works great again.   While it was unplugged and pad started acting up, hitting the f3 button would help for a few seconds ?

This would be perfect if ubuntu could be installed properly instead of a work around.

Maybe just unlocking the bios is all it needs ?

***    OH !   Anyone from "Acer" ?    ***

***    Is it legal ?  For me to install Linux on the "Chromebook" ?   ***

***   How can I enter the bios on my C710

THANKS !

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Moved to Discover which Acer product is best for you! for better exposure.
  • Ricardus
    Ricardus Member Posts: 2 New User

androsilicious

I am interested in your results as well. Being able to get a C7 and make it into a real usable laptop would be great.

Please let us know if we can help in any way.

• danzung
    danzung Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi Geeks,

Please see link below. I know only how to click a mouse and type e-mails ......no knowledge of computers but interested in swithcing chrome to win.....

The below link says you can install your own image......perhaps, if you write an adapter OS or BIOS does that help  I am dumb ofcourse

http://dev.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/acer-ac700-chromebook

• WildeGeist
    WildeGeist Member Posts: 1 New User

Just FYI the link to the Developers is for the C700 and NOT the C710. Thge C710 is missing many of the functions show in the C700 instructions.

• Jaytechie
    Jaytechie Member Posts: 1 New User
    good explanation @ androsilicious
  • keenan74
    keenan74 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer C7 (the one with a SSD, $200 at Walmart) and managed to get a working Debian install on sda7. I had to install Chrubuntu to sda7, then install Crouton to run above the ChromeOS drive, then use the program debootstrap on the Crouton install of Ubuntu to put a minimal Debian filesystem where Chrubuntu was before (I deleted the Ubuntu filesystem on sda7 after backing up some necessary files there for use on the Debian install). Confused? Me too. I'm not sure if this is the best way to put Debian on a C7, and it is not easily done. It seems I remember a script somewhere on the net that puts Debian on in a more direct way, but with the way I did it I imagine you might be able to put Slackware or another distribution on there instead of Debian.

I agree with the OP that a bios flash would simplify things a lot, as this is the most agressively locked-down computer I have ever used. Google took many years and many hours of volunteer work on GNU/Linux  - volunteers worked to create an OS that can be easily changed to suit the user's needs (that is one of the main reasons for free software) - and locked it down so the user can't do anything except shop at Google's app store. It is legal, but it is also unethical.

• mzs_47
    mzs_47 Member Posts: 1 New User

You might be interested to check these links where they have posted pre built coreboot binaries for Acer C7. And some users have tested by flashing their C7s..

Read the comments, those are more informative..

## Binaries here

http://johnlewis.ie/pre-built-coreboot-firmware-for-chromebooks/

##Read the comments here, Kyle Brown was able to boot other linux and windows too I guess..

http://johnlewis.ie/compiling-your-own-coreboot-firmware-for-the-samsung-series-5-550-chromebook/

##The main blog(Thank him, as he is helping the chromebook community)-

http://johnlewis.ie/

PS- You run the risk of bricking the device, but it is recoverable if you are willing to, everything is explained in detail.. Smiley Happy

• daniel1393
    daniel1393 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, please could help me with my acer c710, follow this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5crPfEAhvs but when installing "Windows" remains in "starting windows" and I can not install any OS, also not as return to the SW of chrome. Help ..!

• crisolnet
    crisolnet Member Posts: 2 New User

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27646/kw/chrome%20C710

aqui esta un video y explicacion de como hacer el recovery de tu computador

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello crisolnet

We are happy you have joined the Acer Support Forums.
    The Acer Community is a global peer to peer support forum where users share their experiences and expertise with Acer products.

Because of the multi-national nature of our community, we have asked that users post in English only, as that is the most common language to all users. By doing this, our members are more likely to get a response to their question, and those answers will be available to the entire community as a resource.

This discussion has been closed.