Acer Aspire v3-772g BSOD's (kmode_exception_not_handled, irql_not_less_or_equal)

ID_IcEmAn
ID_IcEmAn Member Posts: 18 New User

Hello.

I have bought my Acer Aspire v3-772g about 3 weeks ago and I have problems with BSOD's since then. I have installed and updated every possible driver that I have found, but nothing helped. So 2 days ago I have decided to restore machine to factory settings. After it I have immediatelly installed all of the updates for Windows 8, uninstalled graphic drivers and updated to Windows 8.1. After update, I have installed Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office and went to sleep. When I woke up, the machine was restarted by the **bleep** BSOD again, saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Minidump: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4E67FB5938521577!1138&authkey=!AP8fwEjaQdXTKok&ithint=file%2c.dmp )
Okay, so I have decided to download all the updates for hardware and install them. Then it took almost 36 hours to produce another BSOD, this time addressed KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (minidump: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4E67FB5938521577!1139&authkey=!ACRSXnA7fDDfLGA&ithint=file%2c.dmp ).

Before factory reset I had many more similar BSODs but I haven't saved any of the minidump files. It's just driving me crazy. What to do?!?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

You're still under warranty and qualify for phone and chat tech support. Don't delay. Go to top of this page, click support and choose the appropriate country.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ID_IcEmAn
  • JackE

Have you run the suggested memtest yet?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ID_IcEmAn

just finished it. returned to windows and after couple of minutes got BSOD

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

athw8x.sys

http://1drv.ms/1jVkXp9 

Atheros drivers are latest...

• JackE

Have you tried to HDMI out to a TV yet during these BSOD episodes? Use the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 display toggles while doing so.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

PS if you mean blue instead of black screen, forget what I asked. If it's a blue screen, have you tried yanking and reinserting the ram modjules despite if it passed the memtest.

Jack E/NJ

• ID_IcEmAn

I don't understand.

You mean I should try to display desktop on TV when BSOD happens? What should happen if I do that?

• JackE

I apparently was editing my last message when you responded. Please look at my previous now.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ID_IcEmAn

I didn't reinsert RAM modules, because my laptop is only 3 weeks old and I would lose my warranty.

• JackE

Not replace them. Just re-seat them.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ID_IcEmAn

did that..

another BSOD happened

http://1drv.ms/NBl51Y

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

by cdd.dll

this doesn't make any sense to me... i'm going nuts

• JackE

iceman>>>So 2 days ago I have decided to restore machine to factory settings. After it I have immediatelly installed all of the updates for Windows 8, uninstalled graphic drivers and updated to Windows 8.1.>>>

I know you won't like this, but what if you again restore machine to factory settings. And then see what happens for the next few days before you try to update anything. If you still get blue screen stuff, then you should request Acer warranty service.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• ID_IcEmAn

i was just thinking about it

i will now restore to windows 8 and install only Chrome and try to run it

if it won't result in any BSOD in next 2 weeks I know it's not hardware problem, right?

• JackE

Right? I'd say with a 51% probably, yes. Why only 51%?  Because the components Acer used in assembling your machine were tested with,  AND ONLY WITH, the Win8 OS and software on its the recovery partition. 

So if it were my machine, I'd try to run in its pristine factory-restored state for at least a day or so if blue screens were happening more than once a day. If less than once a day, I'd try to run it longer before starting to add or update anything. And I'd try not to add and update all at once. As much as possible, I'd try to make sure a blue screen doesn't happen after each new installation.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ID_IcEmAn

I'm not planning to update any drivers as long as it is running fine.

I will be starting to install some of the software I need for work on monday (if there won't be any BSODs).

I have noticed funny thing. In Device manager in Windows 8 I can see Atheros bluetooth drivers that are proper, while in Windows 8.1 there were problems with them and when trying to install new ones from driver page it said that there is no bluetooth device attached to my computer. Windows 8.1 also reported some unknown devices, which aren't found in Windows 8 (after hardware scan those unknown hardware devices changed to Bluetooth audio device (?????)). In Windws 8 there aren't any bluetooth audio devices.

I really hope this will be the case and Acer will soon update drivers that will cause no problems with Windows 8.1

Another question: is there any way that I could get bootable CD or something so I could do a FRESH install of Windows 8.1 ?? I think that the biggest problem is that Windows 8.1 is installed over 8 and causes a complete mess.

• JackE

As far as I know, yes, you can get a Win8.1 full version.  But its activation is not free like the Win8.1 update would be for you.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ID_IcEmAn
    Not a single BSOD on W8 in over a week.

So, this means that I can't update to w8.1? Because I updated it by instructions both times!
  • JackE

Your third swing may be a hit! 8^)

As long as it's been running OK under Win8 factory AND you haven't tried to update anything else, you now may want to try to the Win8.1 update, and  only the Win8.1,  again. Don't try to update anything else even if all your hardware isn't working correctly under 8.1. Let it run long enough to make sure you don't get a blue screen. Then, one by one, start installing other updates or software, checking for blue screens after each installation. I know it's a slow process but if you try to update all at once, and you again get the blue screen, you won't know which installation was the culprit.  

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Prieme401
    Prieme401 Member Posts: 13 New User

The Acer laptopts that came with windows 8 aren't working with windows 8.1. I have the same problem like you have with my aspire 571G. I tried everything but i keep getting BSOD's, everytime it's another one so it's driving me crazy too. I guess the only solution is factory reset to windows 8 as you say you didn't get a blue screen in a week?

• ID_IcEmAn
This discussion has been closed.