Acer Aspire XC600 - installing Windows 7

matt65536
matt65536 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi all

I received my new purchase of the Acer Aspire XC600 today.  This machine comes with Windows 8 preinstalled, but for various reasons I do not want to use Windows 8, and instead my own licensed copy of Windows 7 x64 Professional.  I had checked the Acer forums and support site to see if there were any reported reasons that the XC600 would not work with Windows 7 and for drivers.  I could find plenty of drivers and no reason it should not work.  So I purchased the box.

Unfortunately, the windows 7 install hangs in the same place every time (using safe mode this is on/after loading "disk.sys").

After doing some general searching of the internet for this problem, I have made changes to the BIOS to put the SATA in IDE mode and disabling non-essential peripherals such as the sound system.

I also disconnected all devices except for the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

To no avail however, the install still hangs in exactly the same place.

I think its reasonable to assume it is a problem with the disk system but have very few BIOS settings to change other than what I have already done.  I cannot reach the point during Windows install where I can add my own drivers.  There is also some indication that the systems that come with Windows 8 pre-installed have different BIOS to those with Windows 7.

I think I can safely rule out any hardware problems; not only is the system new but the Windows 8 pre-install does seem to work without problems.

Has anyone else seen this problem, managed to do this successfully or have any other suggestions of things I could try?  I would be very disappointed to have to return this unit if I can't use Windows 7!

Many thanks in advance.

-Matt

Answers

• tom85
    tom85 Member Posts: 257 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hello m8.

Windows 8 doesnt have nothing with BIOS, its only Hard Disk.

I dont know if you want keep windows 8 recovery partition, if not you need to download some partition manager in Dos mode, and clear whole Hard Drive( delete every partitions) and make only one with ntfs system files. Than you should be able to install windows 7.

But the best way will be if you can get some spare, clean Hard Drive and install windows 7 on it, than you will be know what to do nextSmiley Happy Other way, if you delete all partitions, you dont will be able to install win7 , and it will be a problem, cuz cant back to 8:/

''Disk.sys with description PnP Disk Driver is a driver file from company Microsoft Corporation belonging to product Microsoft® Windows® Operating System.
    The file is digitally signed from Microsoft Windows - Microsoft Time-Stamp Service
    We do not recommend removing digitally signed files from Microsoft Windows''

• mattadams84
    mattadams84 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am trying to do the same thing, but to no avail.

I have a clean hard disk and DVD of windows. I have changed the bios to boot from DVD and I get as far as the 'starting windows' screen and then nothing. Have you Amy ideas?

• Tijs
    Tijs Member Posts: 1 New User

I have exactly the same problem! I want to have Windows 7 on my XC600 too..

When I try to install Windows 7 it is loading the files and than it freezes... 

Secure boot is off. And I deleted all the partitions except for the C drive.

Hope someone has the solution :-)

• removedme
    removedme Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm also having the same problem.

I've tried various versions of windows 7, all legitamate copies. None of them pass this point.

Also, how long did it take everyone to find the power on button? I think I spent about 5 minutes trying to find it! I must be getting old if I can't even find the power switch!

• snowman2765
    snowman2765 Member Posts: 34 New User

Downgrading from one windows os to another has always presented some issues. Microsoft does not like to see the end user downgrading for many different reasons. That aside, the most sure fire method is to use Darik's Boot And Nuke. This will totally erase your hard drive and restore it to blank as if you just bought it. After this, you can install Windows 7 on your drive as if it was a fresh install. Another method I found to be pretty reliable is to reformat your drive with an old Windows XP disc first. Windows 7 has a rather poor formatting tool whereas XP has a great one. Just insert the XP disc. choose to install the os, custom of course, and then format the drive. When format is complete, yank the disc out and pop in Win 7, and install as normal. Should work. Any other questions, let me know.

• giles4000
    giles4000 Member Posts: 3 New User

I too am having the same problem. Its got me stumped, and burning the midnight oil.

I have so far tried the following, with no joy:

1) Cleaned (diskpart- "clean" command) the disk & formatted to one partition using another computer.

2) Reset the XC600 BIOS, switched the hard disk to IDE mode, and switched off secure boot policy in BIOS.

3) Tried booting with DBAN disc, but the XC600 does not even boot from the disc (it doesn't see it as a bootable CD, even though my other computers see it and boot from it no problem). The disc brand is TDK and is brand new.

4) Tried booting from a windows xp pro disc (different brand of CD) and again, the XC600 does not even pick it up as a bootable disc, even though my other computers pick it up as a bootable disc no problem.

Everytime I boot with the Windows 7 x64 Home Premium OEM SP1 disc, it looks like its going to go into windows setup (bar goes across) but then freezes as the dots are coming together to form the windows logo.

Some possible solutions I am going to try:

1) Integrate the Windows 7 64bit SATA AHCI drivers from Acer drivers site into a windows 7 disc using rt7lite.

2) Install Windows 7 onto the drive using another intel multicore computer and place the drive back into the XC600 after windows has been installed. Not the cleanest of solutions, but should be ok once the right drivers are installed.

3) Install the latest BIOS update.

4) Throw the computer out of the window, at least this way it will see a working window for a brief second before it smashes on the ground.

• tom85

Trye this one

If the customer wishes to disable EFI they should follow the steps below.

1) Enter BIOS Setup by pressing F2 during POST.
    2) Select Boot.
    3) Select Boot Device Priority.
    4) You will see the following information:
        1st Boot Device [1st FLOPPY DRIVE]
        2nd Boot Device [CDROM:smileyfrustrated:M-ATAPI CD-]
        3rd Boot Device [Network:IBA GE Slo]
        4th Boot Device [EFI Boot Manager]
    5) Move the cursor to EFI Boot Manager and press Enter. Then, you can select Disabled.
    6) Press F10 to save your setting before exit from BIOS Setupnizing more 3rd party PS/2 and USB devices.

• giles4000

There isn't an EFI option in this XC600 BIOS.  I'm wondering if this is simply an oversight on Acer's behalf. It shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult as this to install a different OS.
    Very tempting to just send this computer back. In fact, that is what I will do, life is too short !

• giles4000

Another thing to add to this whole fiasco, is that the XC600 won't recognise most of my dvd's/cd's as bootable discs including the following:

1) windows xp pro/home

2) dariks boot and nuke

3) windows 8 dvd retail

The only thing it seems to recognise (as a boot up disc) is my windows 7 disc, which of course it crashes on setup.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with the optical drive as it was reading all discs (and burning them) fine when windows 8 was working on the system.

• tom85

What BIOS version you've got?

• nobliti
    nobliti Member Posts: 2 New User

It has nothing to do with the BIOS version.... It is this silly new UEFI bios that Acer is installing on their machines. They have an enhanced BIOS feature through their default Windows 8 image.....

I had the EXACT same issue as posted, here is the solution to make your drive bootable options in the boot menu-

1.Completely shut down your computer.

2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press Delete to enter the

BIOS.

3.Use the right arrow key to select Authentication.

4.With Secure Boot highlighted, press Enter and then the down arrow to select Disabled.

5.Use the right arrow key to select Boot Options.

6.With Launch CSM highlighted, press Enter and use the down arrow to select Always.

7.Press Enter.

8.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system

Good riddance Windows 8!

• nobliti
    nobliti Member Posts: 2 New User

Also forgot to mention, this will also allow your install in Windows to go normal. Windows 7 has a UEFI interrface as well, that essentially marries that hard drive to that motherboard...

• yycheah
    yycheah Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Nobility,I manage to install Windows 7 but there conflict for the driver for the eternet controller, USB 2.0 and the PCI Simple Communication controller,SM Bus Controller.

What should I do?

• mklsim
    mklsim Member Posts: 1 New User

You can download the ethernet driver from the intel site for Windows 7. Search for Intel 82579 Gigabit Driver

• murr2k
    murr2k Member Posts: 1 New User

You can also use all of the "Win8" drivers from the Acer support site that were originally meant for your Win8 computer. Win7 has no problem using these. I did this with my Acer X3-100.

• Bret1975
    Bret1975 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I have an XC600 Core i5 machine. I need to install Windows 8 Pro as I am connecting to a domain, I purchased an OEM Windows 8 Pro with the PC as I wanted to do a clean install and get rid of all of the rubbish installed by default.

I have followed all of the info here and changed the BIOS settings but when installing from my Windows 8 Pro disc it is only installing as Home. I have now replaced the hard drive for a brand new blank hard drive and re-installed the OS again but it is still not allowing my Win 8 Pro and even stranger it is pre-activating Windows 8 Home with the original license key so it must store this in the BIOS somewhere.

Can anyone help? I've worked in IT for years but this one is really starting to stress me out!

Many thanks,

Bret 

• Bret1975
    Bret1975 Member Posts: 2 New User

Update!

After a whole day wasted and no less than "10", yes 10 Windows re-installs I have finally managed to get Windows 8 Pro on my XC600. This is all credit to a guy over in the Notebook Review Forums.

Follow this link, very, very simple and got me working in under 30 minutes - http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/698920-installing-windows-8-pro-over-standard-oem-your-new-win8-certified-notebook.html

3-Step Process basically:

1. Extract Windows 8 Pro ISO to bootable USB stick

2. Insert USB stick AND Windows 8 DVD media and boot from DVD

3. Select required OS when prompted - it will ask if you want Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro

There is absolutely NO requirement to disable secure boot or make any modifications to the UEFI at all, at the very most you may have to head off to Acer to download 3 missing drivers as these don't seem to install.

Hope this helps people.

Bret

• rab8823
    rab8823 Member Posts: 1 New User

If you don't want to use a usb drive, you can also install Windows 7 by enabling CSM in the BIOS:

1. Change the SATA controller to IDE mode (under integrated peripherals, I believe)

2. Disable Secure Boot 

2. Enable CSM (the first item under Boot Options

3. Save and reboot

I saw this on another forum and thought I'd post it here for anyone looking for information on installing Win7.

Hope this helps!

• hightech
    hightech Member Posts: 1 New User

After a lot of head scratching I found this solution & it worked for me BUT only if I used an external DVD Drive to boot from.

Many thanksSmiley Very Happy

• timothysando
    timothysando Member Posts: 1 New User

I just typed out this answer, and then discovered page 2 of the thread... haha would have saved me a heap of time...

oh well Smiley Frustrated

turns out after editing this post 3 times... im looking at a dfferent thread...

This discussion has been closed.