Acer Aspire V5-471-6876 Touchpad stopped working

kellyannshk
kellyannshk Member Posts: 2 New User

Was working fine for a few days then suddly stopped working (no cursor appears and movement does nothing). Keyboard fine, external mouse when plugged in works fine. 

Rebooted and no change, no events in the event log for the hardware, looks fine in the device manager. I haven't mucked with drivers yet, but it's brand new and was working fine for the first 2 days. Tried Fn+F7 in case it was disabled. It's my mom's computer, and she's a pretty basic user so it's unlikely she played around with any pertinent settings.

Any ideas? Help?

Best Answer

• Satalink
    Satalink Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓

I've been dealing with this issue for almost a year now.  I've developed a little work-around that may be of use to others.

If you leave you laptop on all the time and have the action set to "Do Nothing" when you close the laptop's lid... (winded),

The touchpad seems to have sleep code of it's own and will remain in a sleep state after you have opened the lid.  This is a design flaw (suspected).  The work-around is to hit CTRL-ESC and use the arrow keys to navigate down to the "Shut Down", "Hibernate", "Log Out", "Lock", "Sleep" function of the start button menu options.   Select "Sleep" and let you laptop go to sleep.  It should be completely in sleep mode in 15 to 20 seconds.  Once it's in a sleep state, hit the ESC key and it will awake up with the touchpad mouse functionality restored.

Hope this helps 

Answers

• pavlinicjohn27
    pavlinicjohn27 Member Posts: 2 New User

Try holding FN button down & hitting the the F6 button

• kellyannshk
    kellyannshk Member Posts: 2 New User

Was just editing my post - it's FN F7 on this one, but that doesn't do anything. Also tried stop device and enable device. no change.

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Good day

Reinstall the touchpad by clicking on start, all programs, acer, acer erecovery management, restore, reinstall drivers and applications, contents and look for touchpad driver and reinstall by clicking on the green arrow on the right handside. If that doesnt work, download and install the latest touchpad driver from: http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Regards,

Freeza

• aditya0987
    aditya0987 Member Posts: 1 New User
  • AcerHBG
    AcerHBG Member Posts: 1 New User

I uninstalled the Synapse driver through Control Panel. Then turned off my laptop and let it sit for 10-15 seconds. (Do NOT try RESTART - must SHUT DOWN computer and let it sit a while). Then manually turned it back on. Problem fixed.

• stephfaulkner
    stephfaulkner Member Posts: 1 New User

thank you so much for this! my laptop was a christmas present and so I only got it yesterday, I was petrified when i tought I'd broke it!Smiley Very Happy thanks again haha.

• Satalink
    Satalink Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓

I've been dealing with this issue for almost a year now.  I've developed a little work-around that may be of use to others.

If you leave you laptop on all the time and have the action set to "Do Nothing" when you close the laptop's lid... (winded),

The touchpad seems to have sleep code of it's own and will remain in a sleep state after you have opened the lid.  This is a design flaw (suspected).  The work-around is to hit CTRL-ESC and use the arrow keys to navigate down to the "Shut Down", "Hibernate", "Log Out", "Lock", "Sleep" function of the start button menu options.   Select "Sleep" and let you laptop go to sleep.  It should be completely in sleep mode in 15 to 20 seconds.  Once it's in a sleep state, hit the ESC key and it will awake up with the touchpad mouse functionality restored.

Hope this helps 

• khamelly
    khamelly Member Posts: 1 New User

Satalink, I took the time to register on this site just to say thank you!!  I have been having the exact same problem and have been googling it off and on for several months, with no luck.  In the meantime I have been using a wireless mouse, which works but is kind of a pain.  Today your post popped up and it worked!

I did try to find touchpad settings, to see if you could turn off sleep on the touchpad, but couldn't find anything.  If you ever figure out how to do that, please let us know, but in the meantime, thanks again for finding a solution to this problem.

• stumpydog
    stumpydog Member Posts: 1 New User

You're a star, worked a treat!  Many thanks for listing the fab fix, I thought I was going to have to take it in for repair and it's not even 12 months yet!

• dpk011
    dpk011 Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanks for a simple solution for a very frustrating issue. I wasted weeks, and finally find solution in your post.

Thanks you.

-d

• Anupa168
    Anupa168 Member Posts: 1 New User
    This worked for me!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!
  • juud_rabel
    juud_rabel Member Posts: 1 New User

Dear Freeza,

Sorry to bother you. I read about your proposed solution to the issue of Acer touchpad not working. I have a similar issue with my newly bought Acer Aspire E1-510 notebook. Your proposed solution does not seem to apply to my case. My laptop runs on Windows 8.1, hence I cannot follow the steps as described by you. There is nothing like All programs, Acer, Acer ercovery, etc. Could you please see if you can profer any solution for my case.

Thanks.

Juud_rabel

Good day

Reinstall the touchpad by clicking on start, all programs, acer, acer erecovery management, restore, reinstall drivers and applications, contents and look for touchpad driver and reinstall by clicking on the green arrow on the right handside. If that doesnt work, download and install the latest touchpad driver from: http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Regards,

Freeza

This discussion has been closed.