Acer Aspire V3-571G won't start.After powerfailure don't start any more. Help!

Fredrikohl
Fredrikohl Member Posts: 13 New User
Had a powerfailure, turned off the laptop to save batteries. Now it won't start, the powerbutton don't respond to pressure, won't light up. Tried to keep it pressed (10-120s) with and without battery/power cord attached. NO difference. Have removed the BIOS battery now and letting it rest without ANY power connected to the laptop. What more can I try? It worked like a charmed until I choose "Shut down" from Windows 7 startmenu :'(

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

Any LEDs lit with battery installed and plugged in?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lucas2014
    Lucas2014 ACE Posts: 567 Pioneer

Some LED lights on the battery, HD, Etc

• JackE

OK. When cold-booted, does the HDD LED show activity even though you have no screen?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fredrikohl
    Have lights on battery installed and plugged in. Else nothing. No HDD or anything lights up.
  • JackE

I suggest removing the battery/power plug and popping off the back cover. Re-seat all the accessible cable/ribbon connectors  near or coming from the charge jack and battery to the motherboard. Then, before putting everything back together again, place the unit on an insulated surface, carefully re-insert the battery, and try cold-booting again. Report back with results.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Fredrikohl
    Hi again I have to date done: Removed battery, back-cover, removed the keyboard ribbon and power ribbon to controller. Reinstalled them, checked for some kind of breakings. I have tried to have only power connected without battery etc. Am trying now to have the BIOS battery removed so I can test again tomorrow to put it all togheter and try again. I will try that also tomorrow.
  • JackE

OK. Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fredrikohl
    Hi again. Sorry for slow answer. Have had full time taking care of stuff @ home. I have tried all that you asked me, I have also tried for several days leaving the computer without BIOS-battery, no power connected etc. But the same problem occurs. Nothing when trying to start it with only battery, nothing happens when plugging in the power cable except charging light lights up on the laptop. When pressing the power button nothing happens at all. No flashing of lights other describe. So it's like it's not function (powerbutton)? Why did it work like a charm before turning it off? Why did this happen, because of it was on battery mode?
  • JackE

Do you have a mulimeter? If so, please check the voltage of the battery alone --- there are likely more than two battery terminals so you'll have to probe different pairs to get a measurement. What is the highest battery voltage that you measure? Also check the no-load output voltage of the power supply pin.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fredrikohl
    Gonna get one so I can test battery, and also the power subbly pin. Any tips on what interval it should be?
  • JackE

I expect to see ~15 volts or more for both the battery and the power supply output.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Fredrikohl
    Ok, gonna go and fetch the multimeter now. Be back with info.
  • Fredrikohl
    Hi again! Had to replace multimeter because the one I bought was broken :/ Ok, charger gives of 9.47V but the battery don't give me anything 0V. There is a "+" and "-" sign on the battery and that is what I measure against. Right?
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i think that 19V must be the correct voltage.

• Output: DC 19V, 3.42 : 65 Watts
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Fredrikohl
    The battery is showing ~9.9 - 10V The charger shows 9.47V So battery shows it's capacity according to the label. Have to dubble check the charger when home again. Have driven to a friends place to test with another multimeter with thinner leads.
  • Fredrikohl
    Ok, tested a FLUKE multimeter. Other response then: Charger = ~19.49 V Battery = ~9.9 - 10 V
  • Fredrikohl
    So looks like charger and battry ok? Smiley Sad
  • JackE

OK, the charger seems OK. The battery seems to be the smaller 3-cell lithium ion (vs 6-cell) if its label and the Fluke say 9-10 volts.

Try this crude battery load test. Measure its voltage as accurately as you can. Then re-insert it in the laptop but don't plug in the charger. Then take the laptop into a darkened room or closet. Press the power button. Do you see any of the LEDs blink at all, even for a fraction of a second?

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Fredrikohl
    Tried to start the laptop in a darkened room. Nothing happens, not a flicker of light or anything from the LEDs. Should I have some kind of measure of the voltage at the same time?
  • Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    seems like you have tried a million things.. but have yout tried this. Understand your DEAD. but No battery AC plugged in insert Bootable MEDIA unplug hold down power button. insert AC and continue to hold power button for 1 min.. release poer button an see if it does try to start in Boot Options. You have already removed the BIOS battery so BIOS should be RESET. almost any voltage measurement should be taken from from power source at the end that plugs into the laptop. voltage should be in the 17vt range ... I have seen some Laptops that will not START if the BATTERY is DEAD (FLAT) until you plug in and let charge for about 15 mins.... (long time when your waiting)
This discussion has been closed.