Acer Aspire 5535-Black screen- no beeps-no post codes

diddlyidi
diddlyidi Member Posts: 6 New User

I have been asked to look at a laptop to see if i can identify the cause of the problem.

The laptop powers up, the fan quickly whirls on start up then stops and then after a couple of minutes retstarts.

There is just a black screen no acer logo and i am unable to boot into bios.

This is what I have done so far.

1.Tried attaching to an external monitor- doesn't help

2.Tried a new hard working hard drive-doesn't help

3.Tried different memory-doesn't help

4.Tried a new CPU- doesn't help

I am beginning to suspect that it may be a motherboard problem and wonder if it is worth replacing.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Thanks

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello diddlyidi,

In first, have you removed the RTC battery (CR2032) to make a Clear Cmos?

France
  • diddlyidi

No I haven't tried that but I will 

• pjl
    pjl Member Posts: 3 New User

Flashing the BIOS may be an option for you.... I have done it under Black Screen conditions on my Aspire  5250 to a very satisfying result.
      Check the Acer product support to see if there had been a BIOS update for your model. If so, use the Update file with which to Flash the BIOS.

• pjl

I`ll add this vid conjhcerning an aspire One as an example for .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHkGkw9EE8c

• diddlyidi

I can't find the battery to remove it

• diddlyidi

How do I flash the bios?

• laurent_14

Hello diddlyidi,

You'll find the RTC battery near the DVD drive (under the keyboard and the upper case).

Make this before to try a bios recovery.

France
  • diddlyidi

Well I did try to flash the bios but it didn't help, so after some further searches on the internet I came across this suggestion and it worked for me http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/acer-aspire-5535-how-to-flash-bios-546082-5.html  #81 terrence66.

The Acer Aspire is now up and running with a different hard drive so at the moment I am struggling to activate windows but I am sure that there must be a workaround for this problem.

Thank you for the suggestions

• pjl

Glad to read that your unit is again operational, congratulations!
    However switching hard drives and subsequently Operating Systems will require you to contact Microsoft and purchasing a new Product Key in the $40 range. All part of the OEM validation in laptops and how a specific copy of Windows is tied to the original laptop that it was loaded on.

• laurent_14

Hello diddlyidi,

Microsoft OEM Partner Center:

"Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."

If you have a automatic activation issue, you may be activate your license by phone.

France
  • diddlyidi

Well that didn't work for long although I didn't use the copper shims between the gpu and cpu I just reapplied the thermal paste. I am just awaiting some shims to try it again 

This discussion has been closed.