ACER C720 the hostile machine...

Videomarquantoè
Videomarquantoè Member Posts: 26 New User

Acer C720 , the device hostile, enemy of the users.

Acer C720 , the device closed, locked and welded.

Now full of annoyance for my confidence in the project chromebook, for he had hoped that the ACER C720 chromebook could give all users a notebook with a good hardware on which to experiment and try the Chrome OS, freely and without constraint or limitation. An opportunity to experience the work environment GOOGLE. But the reality is very different from the expectations and hopes.

ACER C720 immediately begins badly, with visible signs and other hidden below that wish list:

- The 11.6-inch screen, is the worst and cheapest display that could be installed on a notebook. It is not an IPS screen ( as everyone expected and how competitors offer), but a rough and old TN panel , from the subdued colors and the brightness is not good .

- The battery can not be removed and replaced, but it is fixed, welded and sealed into the computer chassis. A clear desire to make the component is not replaceable by users (open the notebook will void your warranty).

- Very poor battery! It seem 3950 mAh, like a 7" tablet!  Smiley Sad

- The notebook does not have doors and entrances to the ram memory and mass storage, through which any act, desirable upgrade. RAM and mass storage are well hidden and inaccessible. To access it you have to open the notebook, and this invalidates the warranty.

- The notebook is not charging through USB ports, appreciated option of ultra-mobile devices, but only through its power supply from the mains.

- The memory ram, used for Haswell architecture (Intel Processor, only strong point of the notebook) that is potentially cabinet is well 16GB ! ACER C720 notebook sell dividing this value cuts imposed. For example, sell a notebook with 2GB of ram and through blocks and internal welds, the user will NOT an upgrade. In this way, the C720 will be born and will die with 2GB of ram ! This situation, really unpleasant, that is about all the cuts designed (4GB , 8GB ). The end user does not have and never will have, any chance of making ram memory upgrades .

- The socket that engages the mass memory is hard to find in the free market, and it costs a lot. If a user wants to try to replace the mass storage offered by ACER C720 (16GB or 32GB ), may not be able to install a new SSD and if you were to break this socket, would seriously spooky mischief.

- In the year of the Lord 2013, almost 2014 a brand new device leaves the factory without a channel SATA III but, perhaps, even with the SATA II. Any avid user of electronics and information technology , is aware of the fact that SATA III is close to saturation (other SSDs are fast and how much more than the maximum bandwidth offered by SATA III).

- The bios of the notebook is hostile as the rest of the device. You have to work hard to sustain the operating system chrome, another one you like. In the C720 with ridiculous amounts to 16GB mass memory, it is virtually impossible to install a modern Windows OS. With difficulty and with little comfort you can install Linux on some of its distribution. You can not use all the (little ) mass storage offered to us, erasing the operating system chrome... the bios does not allow it .

- The offer price in the U.S. is more advantageous than the one made to European customers . In the USA, the model with 16GB mass memory and ram to 4GB, costs 250 dollars ( 182 euro )... in Europe this model is not there! In Europe, there comes a different model, with features and a little laughable want: 32GB mass memory ( always difficult or impossible to install modern Windows systems ) and only 2GB of RAM ( now almost all smartphones have 2GB of ram !), A little useful touch screen is proposed ( if I use the touch , then I think a tablet... not a notebook) . The final price is not modeled on the American one, but it is higher. The European customers are regarded as fools who must have less, paying more !

ACER C720 is a hostile machine, designed for an audience of users subservient, passive and subject to the will of GOOGLE . The device do not argue, do not touch, do not open, you do not program, does not improve, do not fix it ... those who buy C720 are a beta tester slaves ( and paying ) GOOGLE . A device closed and sealed, locked and self-referential.

For me, a huge disappointment.

I hope I did not forget anything in this long close examination , but if I had forgotten something , I invite everyone to add notes and comments .

Greetings.

Answers

• Videomarquantoè

I read, here, that C720 have a wifi problem (in terms of power...it seem -25%!!) and great trouble for handly an external 3G device! I confirm my impression...THE HOSTILE MACHINE! Smiley Sad

• mmt050
    mmt050 Member Posts: 4 New User

Machine is light, processor is fast, screen is OK, battery life is fantastic, ram is a lot (4g). Don't know what are you complaining about.

• Videomarquantoè

Hi,

I wrote everything, arguing and providing details with respect to what I write. You, as well as using adjectives as arguments?

• mmt050

Keeping in mind that this is Chromebook by Google:

- ultra portable you cannot exect replaceable or extendable ram.

- battery is removeable and replaceable (if you bother to open the laptop)

- no ultraportable exists with easily replaceable parts which doesn't void the warranty

- allowing the user easy access to memory and other internals and NOT voiding the warranty is not something which any company would like

3950mAh means nothing without mentionning the voltage. 

- real time on battery is at least 7 and a half hours which is a lot.

- memory is 4GB on C720-2800 model, plenty for ChromeOS/Linux (30 tabs - no problem)

- 16GB SSD is also plenty, as you should be living in the cloud with ChromeOS. It is very fast because it is SSD

- you cannot saturate any of the SATA (I, II, or III) with the usage scenarios this machine supports (browsing).

- the device is not meant to be installed a different OS (Windows)

- you can install Linux just fine, with plenty space left

- BIOS is very optimized for fast boot and thanks to that the laptop boots in less than 4 secs

- price is very nice for what you get - 250$ is amazing

Not on the last place, this is Chromebook by Google. Educate yourself before buying and you'll be much happier. Instead you did like any blind consumeris does and buys based on assumptions and advices by "expert friends".

It's only because I assume you're not stupid or blind, that I called you troll. Also I still think you are based on the type of english you exhibit... 

• Videomarquantoè

Oh, I'm always happy to read lines inspired by so much kindness and goodness of heart . Smiley Happy Before I answer , I want to apologize to you and with the forum, for my bad English. The fact that it is not my native language is not a valid excuse and does not justify myself.

Many things ( I would say all , but better not to exceed  Smiley Happy ) you write or are incorrect or patently wrong .
    Who told you that a mobile device is not meant to be upgraded ? If a company creates a specific process to hinder the upgrade , it means that that company wants to prevent and improve the device ! Contrary to what you say , a good mobile device allows the upgrade. The real ultra portable devices , small and light, are the gloriouses 'netbooks' (Acer , Asus , Samsung ) and ALL allowed to operate simple upgrade ram memory , even in the case of Samsung, through a little door. Inform yourself and learn ... or at least keep your eyes open, when you observe the notebook of others.
    On samnsung nc10 and on acer , the battery has always been removable and replaceable with original and third-party . Inform yourself and learn ... or at least keep your eyes open when you look at the notebooks of others.
    With regard to the 3950 mAh, I am impressed by the ignorance in which you live . You do not know the difference between Ampere (A) and Ampere / hours (Ah) . The voltage in volts , has nothing to do really ! the value mAh exactly indicates the time in which a battery is able to supply a certain amount of current .
    Study the fundamentals of electrical engineering .
    The quoted battery lasts 7 hours if you use the "operating system" of Google Chrome OS, but if you had a desire to install Windows as a battery would last so ridiculous ? An hour?

The model with 4GB is the minimum acceptable , as are 2GB kit based smartphone ... Check!

The fact that there is a proposed C720 with 2GB should hit you and enlighten you ! It should ...

Leaving you in the cloud ! I want a device that keeps my data (all) . I want to have a choice , not an obligation to do so because of the wretched prisoner 16GB ( mass storage , base, the smartphone ).

All notebooks, large and small, expensive and cheap, ALWAYS have allowed users to install the desired operating system. Only GOOGLE works to get the opposite! Think!

I do not want to be in the scenario that you like it (and GOOGLE ) ... I do not want to do browsing ! I want the on-board electronics allow me to do what I want and not what Google wants ! The channel SATA , deliberately obsolete , serves to rinchiderti in a plane ... you understand that?

The system is designed for not welcome Windows. Bravo! This you get it . Maybe you ask yourself why ...

The bios is closed on itself, intentionally and the rapid boot is the fact that part of a mock "operating system" ... not a real one.

The price is very good , very good . It would be excellent if the electronics were not caged and if users are not treated as observers of websites !

On every possible argument with you, I would refer you the most important one of all , and that you have not understood : try to make the couple feel GOOGLE / ACER that there are users who want to open and flexible systems is a good attitude . I'm sorry to note that , not understanding the underlying reasons of what I write , you'll embark on a number of defenses to the bitter end of who you want to be a silent observer web pages.

I also do not think that yours is an uneducated or one who does not understand the heart of the situations ... I just think you need a long time to understand that you're closing , spontaneously , in a cage , happy to be managed. I do not mean you're stupid or with neuronal trouble , I would not say never!

Personally I would like GOOGLE / ACER could made a beautiful product that would allow everyone to use all SO ... not a trap pro Chrome OS, chrome browser , google web etcetera.

You know that I'd love to see Acer work on a device similar to the C720, but open? Do you understand?

• mmt050

On the upgrage:

- to achive greater integration you reduce upgreadability.

- Samsung NC10 is 150 grams heavier and a full 1.1cm thicker than the C720 - much less portable and streamlined.

- with memory being the only exception, battery and SSD are replaceable.

On memory size:

- there are many desktops this day running with 4GB of memory and that's fully sufficient for daily tasks

- that some phones have 2GB is more of a marketing trick than anything else.

- also phones with 2GB ram cost 600-800$ 

On SATA spec:

- the platform controller in this machine is of the Lynx Point family ALL of which support SATA 6Gb/s

On battery size:

- I agree with you on the voltage remark I made a mistake

- keep in mind that MacBook Air 2012 has 6500mah. This cheap machine has almost 4000Mah on a much more efficient processor

- what is important is the efficiency of the hardware not that much the sheer size of the battery

- I can verify that in Linux and ChromeOS 7-8h of battery life is real

- battery life is achieved through efficient hardware and efficient software. Windows has never been efficient battery wise.

On other OS:

- you can install several flavors of Linux

- if you're even more tech-savvy you can install more versions of linux.

- not on the last place this is a CHROME-BOOK. It is running ChomeOS by definition. Acer is not hiding that from you. As long as you can read you will know this is the OS. 

- it's like complaining that you cannot change the OS of you smartphone. Well.. you just can't..

It's a GOOGLE/ACER device and they have the right to decide what they want on it. There are no cages in the same way that trying to cut wood with a kitchen knife is not the fault of the knife. There is no cage, you didn't have to buy this system, you could've gone and bought any other.  

Finally man, if you bought this system and you are feel deceived based on tha arguments you state, it's because you haven't done any research whatsoever before buying it. This makes you childishly irresponsible with your disposable income. Then again the fact that you bought this cheap of a system and ***** so much about it tells me the income wasn't all that disposable after all...

Have fun with your Chromebook. Learn linux.

• Videomarquantoè

You still do not understand anything. I this notebook, the C720, I did not buy and do not will buy it, for all the reasons I have explained. Just because I run the brain, I study and read before buying. To your knowledge, I use Linux 13:10 flanked windows7 ... all handled perfectly by a 128GB SSD in my very very very old NC10   2008 works admirably.

And now we come to your "arguments", again full of serious errors and omissions.

The 'absolute weight' of all electronic devices in the world, always goes down , all the time ... you can not make a comparison between two notebooks were born after almost six years ! The netbook segment was a risk er manufacturers of notebook ( eroded the shares of the more expensive models with higher margins ), currently , we would , most likely, notebook from 800 grams and with the strength of the current top of the range . This is an elementary observation of the strategy adopted by manufacturers of notebook ( all) .

To replace the battery C720 you have to open the notebook (void the warranty). This is a political style that Apple does not like anything to those who buy non-Apple products. Really you think is normal that you do not have the freedom to change your battery in your notebook? And even if you were ready to open the notebook, you'd be free and able to find a battery built by the free market and price different from the original?

The RAM should always be accessible and easily replaceable through specific ports. This discourse becomes important and decisive when you notebook with very little memory (2GB ) or a quantity just enough. When a manufacturer gives you 2GB or 4GB and is careful not to get access to the ram ( not providing gateways ) and welding the modules on the motherboard , it is because she have decided that you do not have any decision-making power on the object purchased . I invite you to documentation page and read a lot. The architecture of this notebook , provides a maximum value of well- 16GB ... absurd to think of what work has been done to castrate every possible upgrade to the total detriment of end users.

The multi-functional devices such as smartphones have 2GB of RAM and some cost $ 600, as you say, but they have different intended uses. You try to make a phone call, bringing at your ear the C720! Smiley Happy

Regarding the channel SATA, I'd like if you said the official document which states that the protocol is used SATA III (6 GB). Personally, the only information I have found relate to the adoption of the old SATA II (3GB). I look forward to the data and the source …

As regards the history of the battery life, it would be fair to maintain the homogeneity of the comparisons. Take the C720 system and we do work with Windows (the system being adopted in the world) and see how long the battery makes us work. It makes no sense to take a comparison of assessment Chrome OS!

On other operating systems, I will only make you observe that you, as the owner of your notebook, you should not even think about any limits! You could just decide to install linux or windows or Chrome OS, or all together, or staying on the dos Smiley Happy For me it is unbearable having to hope that my favorite operating system, is allowed by the bios C720.

What I can not seem to explain , is that I would like to propose that the ACER to its customers a notebook with the same electronic characteristics of C720 , but without its limitations . A sort of ACER C721 FREEDOM Smiley Happy

As I wrote in a post called "Acer , Are You Able ... "

Probably you have not read this post, or you did not understand the content . For clarity and to facilitate your understanding , I repeat : it would be great that would build a notebook ACER C720 equal to , but without the protocol GOOGLE ( the 'solderedbook project') ! A classic bios , a flap to access the ram, no module soldered , no special connector to change SSD , no size limit of the disc ( C720 is currently limited to a maximum of 128GB ! )

I am very sorry to realize that you do not know and, more importantly, you do not understand anything of electronics for a good finding/research of the best product with value and cost evolution.

Are you the perfect client for Google and Apple ... Smiley Happy

• conix67
    conix67 Member Posts: 1 New User

Not sure what OP expects - C720 as a high end notebook?

- The 11.6-inch screen, is the worst and cheapest display that could be installed on a notebook. It is not an IPS screen ( as everyone expected and how competitors offer), but a rough and old TN panel , from the subdued colors and the brightness is not good .

I would have liked it better if it had IPS, but not many chromebooks have IPS screen which adds to the cost. I have not seen it in person, but I heard it actually is quite decent. Many new notebooks still come with TN panel, those that cost a lot more than C720. Have you actually tried C720?

- The battery can not be removed and replaced, but it is fixed, welded and sealed into the computer chassis. A clear desire to make the component is not replaceable by users (open the notebook will void your warranty).

This is primary reason that made the notebook smaller and lighter. I do not purchase replacement batteries on my other notebooks, by the time the battery goes bad, the machine becomes too old to be worth the trouble. I think this is a smart choice. What is your problem?

- Very poor battery! It seem 3950 mAh, like a 7" tablet!  :smileysad:

Whaterver. It gives you 8+ hour of runtime, more than most 7" tablets. What is your problem?

- The notebook does not have doors and entrances to the ram memory and mass storage, through which any act, desirable upgrade. RAM and mass storage are well hidden and inaccessible. To access it you have to open the notebook, and this invalidates the warranty.

Why do you need unnecessary doors for these when they are not replaceable. It is NOT designed to be upgradable. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't complain that ALL notebooks cannot be upgraded with a better processor. What is your problem?

- The notebook is not charging through USB ports, appreciated option of ultra-mobile devices, but only through its power supply from the mains.

I would rather have a notebook you can charge overnight and use it all day without recharging it, rather than carrying  a charger. 8+ hours of runtime can last all day for most people, whereas chromebook 11 from HP does not last that long. What is our problem?

- The memory ram, used for Haswell architecture (Intel Processor, only strong point of the notebook) that is potentially cabinet is well 16GB ! ACER C720 notebook sell dividing this value cuts imposed. For example, sell a notebook with 2GB of ram and through blocks and internal welds, the user will NOT an upgrade. In this way, the C720 will be born and will die with 2GB of ram ! This situation, really unpleasant, that is about all the cuts designed (4GB , 8GB ). The end user does not have and never will have, any chance of making ram memory upgrades .

All that memory is useless if they are not used. For Chrome OS 2GB is more than sufficient, even for people having 10+ tabs open. Certainly I wouldn't purchase a house with 10 bedrooms if I live alone, unless I have money to burn. What is your problem?

- The socket that engages the mass memory is hard to find in the free market, and it costs a lot. If a user wants to try to replace the mass storage offered by ACER C720 (16GB or 32GB ), may not be able to install a new SSD and if you were to break this socket, would seriously spooky mischief.

This is a new standard, which many appreciate it. It is very forward looking design, and save weight and space. Regardless, it is not designed to be upgradeable. What is your problem?

- In the year of the Lord 2013, almost 2014 a brand new device leaves the factory without a channel SATA III but, perhaps, even with the SATA II. Any avid user of electronics and information technology , is aware of the fact that SATA III is close to saturation (other SSDs are fast and how much more than the maximum bandwidth offered by SATA III).

This is a low end system. SSDs have not saturated SATA II bandwidth. What is your problem?

- The bios of the notebook is hostile as the rest of the device. You have to work hard to sustain the operating system chrome, another one you like. In the C720 with ridiculous amounts to 16GB mass memory, it is virtually impossible to install a modern Windows OS. With difficulty and with little comfort you can install Linux on some of its distribution. You can not use all the (little ) mass storage offered to us, erasing the operating system chrome... the bios does not allow it .

It is a Chromebook, if you undestand what it means. C720 is designed for Chrome OS and does the job really well. What is your problem?

- The offer price in the U.S. is more advantageous than the one made to European customers . In the USA, the model with 16GB mass memory and ram to 4GB, costs 250 dollars ( 182 euro )... in Europe this model is not there! In Europe, there comes a different model, with features and a little laughable want: 32GB mass memory ( always difficult or impossible to install modern Windows systems ) and only 2GB of RAM ( now almost all smartphones have 2GB of ram !), A little useful touch screen is proposed ( if I use the touch , then I think a tablet... not a notebook) . The final price is not modeled on the American one, but it is higher. The European customers are

regarded as fools who must have less, paying more !

Go find one that offers more for less, wherever you are. Is this a problem with C720 notebook design, feature?

Sounds to me like a hostile user. Proabably have the same hostile attitute toward all notebooks. Not a single valid point was made perhaps other than the price complaint in EU vs US.

• jescott418
    jescott418 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter

Chromebook's are locked devices. Everyone knows they are not meant to really be anything more. If you don't like Chromebook's then don't buy one. Especially don't buy one because you think your buying something to just install another OS on. Yea, people have managed to roughly install another linux version but not without some issues. 

I look at a Chromebook as being a cheap throw away internet device. It allows a person to inexpensively buy a device that is a alternative to a cheap tablet. Nothing more and nothing less. You want to talk about glued in batteries and RAM that is not upgradable but even Apple is moving towards very limited upgrade or replacement options with their Macbooks. 

This has become the way PC makers assemble PC's. 2GB of RAM for Chrome OS is plenty for most people. Yes, most likely it would be not enough for a full Linux but then again it was not designed for a full Linux or Windows OS. Why would anyone expect more from these cheap devices then what they are designed for is beyond me. If you want something better, don't expect that will come without paying more. 

• rasqual
    rasqual Member Posts: 3 New User

Obviously, the OP needs to take an interest in a totally different product. But blaming a Chromebook merely for not BEING that other product, makes no sense. It is what it is. 

This discussion has been closed.