2nd hdd tray for "acer aspire v3-771g"?

2»

Answers

• dvideohd
    dvideohd Member Posts: 3 New User

Thanks to all who have posted here!  I followed suggestions and upgraded my V3-771G.  

So far:

Expanded DRAM to 32G (thanks to Newegg.com)

- I kept at 32G for software reasons...  I can (should) be able to run a VMWARE Win7 installation - as well as an XP Pro 64 and Linux (Ubuntu) installation...   these are good ideas for driver and development reasons.....    Win 8 isn't so bad - but EVERY TIME - I CURSE STEVE BALLMER for allowing such a STUPID Win 8 release.   So...  32G is actually pretty useful for me....    Win 7, Ubuntu, and XP Pro software and applications can live on the HDD.  

Added 120G Flash SSD (Samsung 840 - 128G).  Upon REFLECTION - I would go with the bigger SSD...   the 840 Pro, at 250 G is more $ - but may be more useful in the long run...   

The mSATA port - I had not even thought of when buying this i7 machine....   As Ryancampbelliun reports, the mSATA slot works with a 240G plug in.     That could be really useful for some of my apps...    especially when traveling....

A PROBLEM....

I cloned the boot drive with Samsung SW to the SSD.   
    Plugged it in - changed the boot priority...  and it WILL NOT boot off the SSD.... 

I am MISSING SOMETHING....     can't search out what, either.... 

advice - from those who have done this and got it working OK?

Did you "back up" the Win 8 software to DVD first?  

(I will keep Win 8 - and convert to 8.1 soon...  (HaHa....) - I can't think of this as an upgrade...   more like another "repair patch...")

Sources......

I ordered a second SSD Tray from:

http://www.itec4less.com/Hard_Drive_Trays/for/Acer/Aspire/V3-771G/0/

I got the Screws from:

http://www.laptopscrews.com/?gclid=CKmVueKQvLgCFVNo7AodExYAlQ

(Note..  they can ship screws via 1st class mail - and this makes it easy to ship international, too...   just need to add a noted to ship in an envelope....)

I meaured these before ordering (with dial calipers) - so if anyone needs the screw type, I can post..  

--jerry

• yshin621
    yshin621 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Jerry,

Can you please post the size/type of the screw? That will be really helpful. Thank you for your contribution.

Yoon

• dvideohd
    dvideohd Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi..

will measure... 

http://www.laptopscrews.com/?gclid=CKmVueKQvLgCFVNo7AodExYAlQ

M2x4mm, 10035zf15 +1.71

1.71 for screws...     $5 for shipping...   they shipped fast!!  

This is a good outfit for other M screw needs.. 

(PS... the screws fit - and they were good quality....    )

• Selereth
    Selereth Member Posts: 1 New User

I was talking with an Acer support representative and she said that the Acer V3 771G-6675 couldn't hold two hard drives. Can someone confirm if this is true or not? I know other models of the 771G can hold both an HDD and a SSD but I'm not sure if mine can or not.

This discussion has been closed.