windows 8 recovery disk creation stalled at 95% (Acer aspire v3-551-8469).

jayquach
jayquach Member Posts: 1 New User

Just bought a brand new Acer Aspire V3-551-8469 laptop with Windows 8 64-bit. Try to create the Recovery disk onto a usb drive (32G and 64G) from Acer Recovery Management, but the process stalled at the very end (about 95%). Retry several times with the same result. It also happened  when try using Recovery from Windows 8 Control Panel.

Thank you very much for any help.

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Try formatting the flash drive to remove any files or U3 formatting and try to create your media again. If you are still having problems creating media, contact warranty support for your region.

• FerociousPeeCee
    FerociousPeeCee Member Posts: 2 New User

Same issue with my brand new AO725. Recovery Drive asked for a 16GB USB. The USB fresh formated Fat32 (no U3 *****) and it seems stalled at 98% creating the Win 8 Recovery.

screenshot

I can even use the USB EJECT to safely remove the drive.

• stonedagain
    stonedagain Member Posts: 1 New User

I had the same problem with 16 gig, tried with a 32 gig & it worked 1st time! Maybe 16 gig is not quite big enough for Win 8?

• Jess
    Jess Member Posts: 1 New User

Same problem. Brand new Aspire E1-521-0294. Purchased on Friday January 4th 2013. Loaded with windows 8. Tried a 16 gig and it didn't work. Got a 32gb flash drive and hanging at about 98%. Already formated flash drive shows 29.6gb available and same issue. Really would like an answer to this issue.

• s_hansen
    s_hansen Member Posts: 1 New User

I had exactly the same problem. Acer Support told me to bring in my notebook for a check as it would probably be a hardware problem or a problem with the recovery partition. I wanted to do so and found a very good guy at the media market service in hamburg. He said that there are often problems with usb-sticks when writing large amounts of data (although the stick is ok and it is big enough). Before sending my notebook to acer he suggested to try creating the recovery data on a harddisk instead. It worked first time!!! As my harddisk is an older one I might just keep it for recovery but on the other side a harddisk is of course to expensive to use it as a recovery medium.

Hope this information helps.

• allione
    allione Member Posts: 5 New User

Also having exactly the same issue on a new Aspire V5-171. I have a brand new 32GB USB flash drive, and when trying to transfer my recovery partition, the program stalls in the exact same way as 'FerociousPeeCee' in the screenshot above.

I've tried re-formatting the drive (FAT32; full, not quick) and various USB ports. Same result each time.

I hope there's a resolution (that does not involve buying more additional hardware!).

• Jodnick
    Jodnick Member Posts: 5 New User

I just bought a Acer Aspire V3-571 today and having the exact same issue.  I am using a 32GB flash drive, and the hard drive seems to be humming, but it is not moving beyong the 98% mark...now what?

• allione

Tried with another USB flash drive (different brand), and it still didn't work.

• Jodnick

allione....have you contacted Acer about this issue?  Any resolution?

• allione

Yeah, I contacted them and got the following reply. The thing is I'm doubtful it'll make any difference and (ironically) I'm reluctant to do a full system recovery until I've made a backup USB stick... But I appear to be running out of options.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Acer Technical Support.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'll be able to help you with that today.

It sounds like it may be advisable to perform a system recovery on your computer to rule out that the problem is software related. 

We request you to try to create the back up copy after performing a system recovery on the unit.

Note: Recovery will erase all the data/information which is saved on your computer. We recommend you to back up the data before you start the recovery.

Use the following steps to restore your computer.

1. Press the Windows key + C to open your Charms. 

2. Click Search , then type Recover 

3. Click Acer Recovery Management 

4. Select Restore Factory Settings. 

5. Click Next. 

6. Select Fully clean the drive. 
    ]
    7. Click Reset. 

Your computer will restart and begin the restoration process. Once finished, it will restart and begin the initial Windows setup process

Please let us know, if the issue persists after performing the above steps, so that we can assist you further.

• Jodnick

Jess,

I finally contacted Acer about the issue, and bottom-line, they are going to ship me the recovery discs (which they will create), so I am happy with that.  I think that they must be getting hit with this issue more and more with this particular model

• allione

Not sure if it's just through sheer bloody perseverance, but I have now (apparently) successfully created a recovery USB stick.

I tried putting the laptop into the High Performance power plan, and it worked first time. Might be a coincidence, it could be a fluke, but thought I'd share in case not.

Now I just need to work out how to test it :/

• Jodnick

what prompted you to put it in High Performance power plan?  Did you do the restore to factory settings as they suggested?  I would still prefer to have the restore on USB as opposed to discs

• allione
    Desperation? Wondered if it was a sleep setting, or something like that, causing it to fail
  • kimpy
    kimpy Member Posts: 1 New User

I purchased a laptop aspire v5-571 about 2 months ago with windows 8. I experienced the same issues that are posted. After numerous attempts in trying to create a recovery drive,it would just stall out every time. Finally, I defragmented the "Hard disk drive" and on my next attempt I was finally successful in creating the recovery drive.I hope this works for someone else.  

• robotico
    robotico Member Posts: 1 New User

FWIW - It took me about ten different tries to overcome the "stuck at copying recovery partition" issue. What worked was:

1. Set power settings to "high performance" and all sleep/hibernate to NEVER

2. Format the USB drive as FAT32, quick format OFF

3. Then immediately start the recovery process in the ACER app

• MBryga
    MBryga Member Posts: 3 New User

I bought a 16GB USB drive to use for my recovery disk on my Aspire V5-71P and have also run into this apparently chronic problem of the Acer Recover creation tool hanging at the 95% point. Although the tool appears to be stuck, the rest of the system is working fine. The USB has 4.23GB still free. I've tried re-formating the drive but it did not help. The tool appears stuck and canceling runs forever. Killing the tool off is difficult (had to use TaskManager). I checked, the 4th partition on Disk-0 is 12.7GB Recovery partition - so it should fit.

I've read the post where Acer told them to restore their main partition from their recover partition. That sounds a bit drastic, and I would not have any confidence in the restore partition if I can't create a recovery drive from it. At least getting a set of media from them would alleviate that concern. Still, I've spent quite a bit of time installing software that I would have to repeat. It would be nice if the real problem were identified.

• MBryga
    MBryga Member Posts: 3 New User

3rd attempt was charmed. I followed the advice others gave about doing non-quick format of the USB drive, defragging the C: drive, and configuring the system for performance and not hibernating and the 3rd time worked (I think it's more about just keep retrying). You know it's done after it copies Reagent.xml.

• franz
    franz Member Posts: 3 New User
    I also had the same issue with the USB getting stuck at 95-98% even after a format. Instead of switching the laptop to High Performance I switched the USB Selective Suspend to disabled. The USB worked fine after that. Hope that works for others.
  • Laplander
    Laplander Member Posts: 13 New User

I was able to resolve my issue using the patch referred to in this link:

https://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29884

This discussion has been closed.