Let's Get Social!
Ask our members for help or assist others.
You are all welcome at Acer Community!
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.
Yeah, I contacted them and got the following reply. The thing is I'm doubtful it'll make any difference and (ironically) I'm reluctant to do a full system recovery until I've made a backup USB stick... But I appear to be running out of options.
Thank you for contacting Acer Technical Support.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'll be able to help you with that today.
It sounds like it may be advisable to perform a system recovery on your computer to rule out that the problem is software related.
We request you to try to create the back up copy after performing a system recovery on the unit.
Note: Recovery will erase all the data/information which is saved on your computer. We recommend you to back up the data before you start the recovery.
Use the following steps to restore your computer.
1. Press the Windows key + C to open your Charms.
2. Click Search , then type Recover
3. Click Acer Recovery Management
4. Select Restore Factory Settings.
5. Click Next.
6. Select Fully clean the drive.
7. Click Reset.
Your computer will restart and begin the restoration process. Once finished, it will restart and begin the initial Windows setup process
Please let us know, if the issue persists after performing the above steps, so that we can assist you further.
I finally contacted Acer about the issue, and bottom-line, they are going to ship me the recovery discs (which they will create), so I am happy with that. I think that they must be getting hit with this issue more and more with this particular model
Not sure if it's just through sheer bloody perseverance, but I have now (apparently) successfully created a recovery USB stick.
I tried putting the laptop into the High Performance power plan, and it worked first time. Might be a coincidence, it could be a fluke, but thought I'd share in case not.
Now I just need to work out how to test it :/
what prompted you to put it in High Performance power plan? Did you do the restore to factory settings as they suggested? I would still prefer to have the restore on USB as opposed to discs
I purchased a laptop aspire v5-571 about 2 months ago with windows 8. I experienced the same issues that are posted. After numerous attempts in trying to create a recovery drive,it would just stall out every time. Finally, I defragmented the "Hard disk drive" and on my next attempt I was finally successful in creating the recovery drive.I hope this works for someone else.
FWIW - It took me about ten different tries to overcome the "stuck at copying recovery partition" issue. What worked was:
1. Set power settings to "high performance" and all sleep/hibernate to NEVER
2. Format the USB drive as FAT32, quick format OFF
3. Then immediately start the recovery process in the ACER app
I bought a 16GB USB drive to use for my recovery disk on my Aspire V5-71P and have also run into this apparently chronic problem of the Acer Recover creation tool hanging at the 95% point. Although the tool appears to be stuck, the rest of the system is working fine. The USB has 4.23GB still free. I've tried re-formating the drive but it did not help. The tool appears stuck and canceling runs forever. Killing the tool off is difficult (had to use TaskManager). I checked, the 4th partition on Disk-0 is 12.7GB Recovery partition - so it should fit.
I've read the post where Acer told them to restore their main partition from their recover partition. That sounds a bit drastic, and I would not have any confidence in the restore partition if I can't create a recovery drive from it. At least getting a set of media from them would alleviate that concern. Still, I've spent quite a bit of time installing software that I would have to repeat. It would be nice if the real problem were identified.
3rd attempt was charmed. I followed the advice others gave about doing non-quick format of the USB drive, defragging the C: drive, and configuring the system for performance and not hibernating and the 3rd time worked (I think it's more about just keep retrying). You know it's done after it copies Reagent.xml.