iconia w511 3g modem not working on boot

mrtrueman
mrtrueman Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi All,

I have just got the W511 with the 3G built in.  If I leave the sim card in and boot up the Huawei Modem does not work, its gets a yellow check mark in device manager "code 10" device cannot start. Howeveer if I boot up without the sim card in and then insert the sim cars after it has booted up it works ok (sometimes it will drop to a yellow check whilst using it).

I have installed the latest drivers, bios and formware.  I have also tried a new sim card. The sim is a Network 3 UK sim.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards

Mr T

Answers

• dianalpy
    dianalpy Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi

I would like to ask your opinion regarding this tabket. I plan to buy W511.

#1. May i know if this tablet work well with microsoft office?

#2. Is it enough with the 64 GB SSD? (if i wanna install Mic. office and some media software (e.g. realplayer, kuwo,) 

#3. Does the wifi connection drop or frequently disconnect? 

TQ

• mrtrueman
    mrtrueman Member Posts: 2 New User

works fine with Office.  The wifi is stable and I have 32Gb free with office installed.

Back on subject, I have now got a new W511 and the 3G problem is still there with the UK network 3 sim card!

• chrispless
    chrispless Member Posts: 2 New User

I have exactly the same issue with my 511 and a 3UK sim card.

Same workaround works for me or disabling modem /removing sim and reenabling works just as well

Come on Acer we really shouldnt have to be doing this the products should work straight out of the box.

Is there a firmware update in the pipeline?

• Mistero
    Mistero Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi Mr Trueman,

Just to let you know you are not alone!

I wanted to give you a little update of what I have done so far with this exact same issue and what I think is the problem.

Firstly I contacted ACER via the CHAT support and all I can say is what a waste of time! Don't even bother with going down that route, they don't even understand what you are asking of them.

Secondly I contacted ACER via the telephone support line.....hmmmmm after about 20mins of trying to make the person in technical support understand the basics of computing then try and make him understand the issue I got cut off! Outstanding ACER top points so far.

ACER Conclusion - They have no idea what the issue is, no visibility of there even being an issue with this product and most definitely no fix.

Ok so I moved on .....

I have tried re installing the unit back to the factory default installation - NO FIX

I have tried installing a fresh copy of windows 8 and then installing the ACER drivers - NO FIX

I have updated the latest BIOS - NO FIX

I have updated the Mobile broadband firmware - NO FIX

I have tried a selection of 3rd party drivers - NO FIX

All Windows 8 updates installed - NO FIX

After going through these basics I thought I would see exactly when this issue arises and this is what I found.

If you load windows with no sim card inserted the mobile broadband module will still show errors in device manager, if you make an adjustment to a setting in the device properties with still no sim installed( I usually just go into the advanced tab and just enable or disable the selective suspend option) , it will reset the mobile broadband module and show it is working correctly. You can now insert your sim and it functions just fine.

However...

If you leave the sim in and re boot you are back to square one, it doesn't matter what you do you will not get it working after a re boot with the sim inserted.

You will then have to remove the sim, re boot the unit, make a change in the device properties and there you go.

I have also received the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) with an error message of "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (ndis.sys)" which points to a driver issue!!!

Obviously this is ridiculous and by far practical, for me it renders the unit useless for my needs and I would say not fit for purpose.

ACER YOU NEED TO GET ON IT OR THIS UNIT IS COMING BACK ALONG WITH A LOTS OF OTHERS I SHOULD IMAGINE!!!!!

I will keep you all updated if i get any further.

Steve

• chrispless
    chrispless Member Posts: 2 New User

One can only presume that Acer do not read these forums?

surely there should be some acer technical support people moderating the threads.

Pretty ridiculous that there has been no response.

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hello chrispless

This is a peer to peer support forum, and while some Acer employees do post as they have a chance, they do not monitor this forum.

• andrewbian
    andrewbian Member Posts: 1 New User

I have a w510. I use huawei 3g usb modem. if i leave the modem on all the time, it is working ok no reboot

problem. but if i turn off it, i can not turn it on unless i disconnect the modem and plug back again. I tried

many drivers,no work. the modem works fine on my any other laptops ,no problems. So I think it is a bios

problem. we have to wait for a new bios.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I use a hotspot so do not have the 3G model. That said I wonder if the Sim card initially tries to use the same resources as something else. If loaded on boot there is a conflict. If loaded after then it moves to others.

First see http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-10-error.htm (Note to Acer: The "insert link" did not work)

Second open Device Manage, click on the VIEW tab then "Resources by Type" and "Resources by Connection" and record IO,IRQ, and Memory. Something is going to be different.

Once you identify the conflict, try to change the default settings.

• gunggu
    gunggu Member Posts: 33

Tinkerer

i have never had the issue but while i was searching for a way to lock on a 3g network instead of staying on 2g (which i havent solve yet) i found out most issues with the modem can be solved by disconnecting and reconnecting the mbim device. you can do this through charm, settings, devices.

• gunggu
    gunggu Member Posts: 33

Tinkerer

dianalpy wrote:

Hi

I would like to ask your opinion regarding this tabket. I plan to buy W511.

#1. May i know if this tablet work well with microsoft office?

#2. Is it enough with the 64 GB SSD? (if i wanna install Mic. office and some media software (e.g. realplayer, kuwo,) 

#3. Does the wifi connection drop or frequently disconnect? 

TQ

#1 yes

#2 yes, use skydrive or any other cloud services to sync or save to cloud your files. but if u need to play movie files i suggest u buy a 64/128 gb micrpsd to save ur movie files there.

#3 nope its using an always on technology

• robmobility
    robmobility Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

In Device Manager, select the Huawei Mobile device, right-click and select properties.

Click on the Advanced Tab and disable Selective Suspend.

Click on OK.

That fixed it for me.

Cheers,

RobMobility

• stevecray
    stevecray Member Posts: 1 New User

RobMobility - many thanks your solution looks like it has fixed it for me. Like others above, I wasted time on the 'chat' support and got no where.

• stkrup
    stkrup Member Posts: 1 New User

Guys,

Does anyone found a fix for this bug?

I did some research and seems that some users on ativ pc 500 have the same issue with huawei MU733 modem and sim from 3UK. I have tried different SIMs from Orange and Vodafone and all work fine on these (aftere reboot modem is still listed and available to connect). So the combination for appearance of the issue is: Windows 8, huawei MU733 3g modem and sim card from 3UK. Does Acer is aware of this?

This discussion has been closed.