blue screen of death :(

Joes-Mum
Joes-Mum Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

We have an Acer Aspire E1-571.  The blue screen is coming up telling me I have an error code and asking for the recovery disc (Windows 8), however, it is my son's laptop and he didn't make a recovery disc and all our other PC's are Windows 7.

I have tried to get an erecovery disc, but get the message that no disc is available for our serial number (I have also put in the SNID number but get the same message).  I don't understand why I can't get an erecovery disc as the laptop is registered.

Any words of wisdom?  I have looked in other forums online but not found any answers.

Thanks,  Sarah

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi...

It looks like you're in the US and if you have a unit from US or Canada unit, you may live chat with an Acer technician at : http://acer.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch/

They would help you resolve the issue and provide you information on recovery discs.

• Joes-Mum

Thank you, but I am in Norfolk, UK.  No Acer help until tomorrow and a grumpy 15yr old with me now. 

I have purchased the Easy Recovery Essentials Windows 8 download.  Just downloading it now, fingers crossed.

• Joes-Mum

that hasn't worked Smiley Sad - just shows the automatic repair message again and then

I get error code 0xc0000185 again and the same message about using recovery tools on installation media.

I can hear the disc "working" but the information is not being picked up the laptop. 

Is Windows 8 ***** or am I missing something really obvious?

• Joes-Mum

update, changed the boot menu to read the cd first.  This seems to be successful to a point.

However, I get aload of code then the the line:

[<c1003a76>] kernel_thread_helper+0x6/0x10

and nothing more happens.

I think the laptop is most poorly.  Any ideas of what to do now?  I have logged a support query with Easy Recovery Essentials.

Thanks

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi Joes-Mum

The 0xc0000185 error can occur when there is a problem in reading data on the hard drive, it may just be a loose connection or the hard drive controller problem.

You could try reinstalling Windows using the built in recovery partition (ALT & F10 when you see the Acer screen, on restarting), but if the laptop is out of warranty, try beforehand checking that the hard drive is firmly connected, and even the RAM is too.

Keep in mind that reinstalling Windows will erase everything including all your files/documents. If after everything the problem still exists, then it may need to be repaired....

This discussion has been closed.