Wobbly Input Charging Jack in Aspire

Blueflippy
Blueflippy Member Posts: 5 New User

My near new Aspire E1-571 charger input jack (female end) wobbles. And of course, the cable itself (male end) swivels while inserted.  Is this wobbling normal?  In other words, did they design it that way in order to protect the female end of the jack from breakage?  The charging works great and always charges to 100%.

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Yes, there is a receptor made of metal to make a connection with the male end, it's bowed to ensure proper connection, but it is backed by plastic to defend from breaking. A little wobbling is normal, spinning as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Blueflippy

Thank you for the quick response.  I was hoping Acer had intentionally designed the input jack that way in order to protect the input jack and cable end itself from breakage.  It logical preventative for laptops and tablets, considering how they are used, that is, flexing and twisting daily on people's laps, on uneven couches and beds, in a car, etc.   Most internet searches conclude that the solder securing the input jack is broken and advise resoldering immediately.  

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Realistically I'm doubting that it's a solder issue. That would mean that it wouldn't charge. Considering you have an E1 I can assume you are still covered under warranty. If you are concerned you should contact Acer and arrange a repair. Tell them you're worried about it breaking as it doens't feel secure "and hasn't since you bought it". They take care of you.

• Blueflippy

I will contact Acer, just to be sure, though I now think it's normal for the plug assembly to wobble, while maintaining a good connection for normal charging.  Thank you for your thoughts.  

This discussion has been closed.