Wireless connections not working/scanning on Acer Aspire 5749

tommy3q
tommy3q Member Posts: 2 New User

I own an Acer Aspire 5749 laptop on which I connect to the internet via wifi. A few days back my wifi stopped working. I can connect to the internet via my ethernet cable and my wifi works on all the other devices i own (my phone and another laptop) but not on my aspire. whenever I try to search for any wireless networks I get an error saying 'Not connected No connctions available'. I tried rebooting my computer and Fn+F3 but nothing works. I'm running on windows 7 Home Premium. Another thing I noticed was i don't get the wireless bars when I click on the bottom right corner of the taskbar instead I get the ethernet icon (even when it is not connected) and I do not get any wireless option in windows mobility centre.
I don't think it's a problem with my router because my laptop doesn't display any wreless networks in my vicinity.
Any help would be truly appreciated.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi...

You may open device manager ans check if the name of the network adapter are displayed under network adapter.

To check in device manager, click on the Start menu, type device manager in the search box and press Enter.

Click + Network Adapters to expand the section.

The adapter is listed.

If the network adapter names are displayed, right click and check if they are enabled.

You may also refresh the drivers by right click and  uninstalling the adapters listed under network adapter.

Then click on Action and select scan for hardware changes.

Then restart your computer and check if the wired and wireless conection is working fine.

• tommy3q
    tommy3q Member Posts: 2 New User

My network adapter is enabled and I already have latest drivers installed. The internet works fine when I use a cable but my laptop won't even scan for any wireless networks.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Tommy, it's possible that you have a hardware problem, and it's possible that your local WiFi broadcaster is down. If your machine won't even scan for wireless, you probably need to take it to a reputable computer shop.

This discussion has been closed.