Wifi issues on the S500

RobW
RobW Member Posts: 11 New User
The S500 will only connect with very few accesspoints. Even when it connects with an accesspoint the wifi indicator often turns gray and no data transfer is possible eventhough it is connected. Sometimes it helps to reboot the phone but not always. Acer wants me to send it in for repair but I've already got a new phone from my supplier with the same issues. The problems therefor seem to be not a broken device... Are there more users with these issues?

Answers

• seetjetoebak
    seetjetoebak Member Posts: 3 New User
    i have the same problem,but not only my wifi indicator turns grey,also my signal strength meter next to it turns grey
  • seetjetoebak
    seetjetoebak Member Posts: 3 New User
    mine is the z110
  • RobW
    The signal strengst indicator is for the mobile conection. I my case normally a G3 connection. This connections is also often failing but this is not the wifi connection.
  • wwillemse
    wwillemse Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter

But are there technical differences you know of between the Access Points that do work, and those who do not? Could it be related to things as WEP/WPA, or using a 5GHz frequency instead of 2.4GHz?

• RobW
    The only differences between de Access Points I have myself is the brand and the SSID... With other access points I don't know. The strangest thing happend to day. This quetion is already quite old and after I've posted it here yesterday Acer asked for my android version, kernel version, build no. and serialno. this morning. After giving this to them I've got a very fast reply that I will receive an update within the comming days. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Sinds I'll started posting here things seem to start moving :-) Acer keep on going and if it work I'll be happy to post it here as well.
  • greentangerine
    greentangerine Member Posts: 1 New User

I've got the same problem.  Lots of access points and it isn't connected.  Try to manually connect and it refuses toi do so but no error.

Switch wifi off and on again and then it'll connect.  Rebooting the thing seems to solve the issue for a while.

• RobW

Almost 2 weeks ago ACER promised me an update for these issues within a few days. After a week I've send them a reminder but still no answer. I'll give a few more days and then I'll sent them a second reminder....

• Heorot
    Heorot Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm having the same problem. I'm waiting for a respons of the support desk.

• mihaiconst
    mihaiconst Member Posts: 18 New User

If our phones are branded from a specific telecom carrier - we will not receive any update from Acer, only from the telecom operator. This was the response from Acer in other related topic.

Sorry guys..

• wwillemse
    wwillemse Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter

That was not what was written in the other thread. It said that Acer is looking into your problem and are seeing how to fix it. And the tech wrote he did not know at this moment how the fix will be made available. It was not written at all that Orange will provide the fix. It does not help anybody to make these wrong claims here.

• Heorot

Today, there was an update available. Hopefully this will fix the problems. I'll let you know when I had the chance to test it.

• alexcza
    alexcza Member Posts: 4 New User

I can also confirm there is an issue with acer s500 - when I first bought it I got home very enthusiastic but when I tried to connect to my D-LINK router it connected but the wi-fi icon was gray and the connection was very poor (1MB) and also it took minutes until loaded a page. My other phone connected to the same router will navigate instantly.

Went back to Orange Store to give the phone back, but then surprise at the Orange Store Acces Point the phone worked like a charm. On my office Acces Point also works well. I first thought it was my router but then it happend again at another AP...

When I saw this post it confirmed that something is wrong with the phone. Reseting the phone or the wi-fi connection does not help in my case. I removed all security from my router WPA/WEP tryied all the modes b, g n etc thought it might be something related to that but had no luck making it work properly with my home DLINK DIR-600.

I have the latest update relased by ORANGE RO a few days ago (ACER_S500_AV043.RV20RC01_EMEA_ORGROD) but the problem is not solved.. 

Don't know if it is hardware of software related and if it has something to do with my DLINK but all the other devices work just fine with the router.

Waiting for a solution!

• mihaiconst
    mihaiconst Member Posts: 18 New User

@alexcza: yes, the phone has Wifi issues.. but not everytime.

i don't think is a router configuration problem since other devices are connected, so maybe is an a compatibility reason.

solutions..

1. uninstall any antivirus/firewall from the Cloud (if u have)

2. try with other router, before u buy it

keep in touch.. let me know

• Heorot

Yes, the update didn't fix the problems. Smiley Sad

I can also connect to other wifi networks without a problem.

Other mobile phones (and also laptops,  TV etc.) can connect with my wifi at home. So it's not a problem from the router. 

• ck
    ck Member Posts: 3 New User

Well it seems the newest OTA update has caused the phone to NOT shut off the Wifi in deep sleep mode, even though it is set to do so in the advanced Wifi settings.

• Donz
    Donz Member Posts: 5 New User

I am having the same problem. Sometimes the wifi indicator stays grey and sometimes wifi doesn't connect at all.

When it doesn't connect at all the kernel log (dmesg) shows "wlan: connection failed" multiple times.

When I reset the networking stack (wifi device module is unloaded/loaded) the device connects correctly.

In addition I have recurring problems with my carkit not connecting with bluetooth. But when it connects it works great. Disabling/enabling bluetooth on the phone resolves the problem in this case. I didn't have any problems with it with my previous Android phone.

Both problems are easy to reproduce.

Kind regards, Don

• Donz

Disabling 5Ghz on the router seems to improve the situation (i only tested one day yet). Sometimes the wifi indicator still stays grey, but it works.

• alexcza

Can not find such setting in the menu (disabling 5Ghz).

Router is currently on channel 11 -2.462ghz  - see pic.

http://postimage.org/image/p29me2nq3/

I forgot to mention that my router has a dd-wrt version of firmware which I installed. Could somehow this be related to the problem? (all other devices work fine as I said)

• Donz

Hello Alex,

Your router doesn't have 5Ghz. My problem was only partially solved  by disabling it. I am using dd-wrt as well on one of my routers, although that is not the problem

I found that Acer uses an older version of the Prima WLAN kernel module. The release notes state it fixes kind a few issues regarding missed packets.

Perhaps the new driver will be included in the JB update. Shame on Acer for not fixing this sooner, or at least keeping their users informed.

If I have any spare time I will see if I can compile a newer version of the module.

Kind regards, Don

• alexcza

Thank you Don for clearing this up.

But since my updates are coming through my carrier (ORANGE RO) and I am not very familiar with routing the device (and I assume this is what implies instaling the module you intend to compile) benefiting from this fix seems far away now Smiley Happy - for me anyway. 

What intrigues me the most is why only my router has this problem and others AP work just fine. I must say that I succeded in connecting and accesing the internet through another DLINK DIR-600 (actually 2 of them) but with their original firmware(not dd-wrt).

Maybe I could "fix" the router somehow, if I knew where it fails to comunicate with my phone. I will try on another dd-wrt router to see maybe it has something to do with the default configuration of dd-wrt, and if I can change it to make it work with the phone.

I'll post if any progress is made.

This discussion has been closed.