Where is my Windows 8 Product Key?

COCOS
COCOS Member Posts: 11 New User

Recently purchased the V5-571P-6429 notebook and noticed that there isn't a Product Key sticker on the bottom like with older versions of Windows.

I will need this key for a clean install at a later date so I would appreciate if someone can tell me where I can get it from?

Thank you.

Answers

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Good day

No machine released with Windows 8 from vendor will come with a Windows 8 License sticker underneath, regardless of the brand. This is one of microsofts security measures to reduce piracy. The Product key is injected in the firmware of your mainboard.

Regards,

Freeza

• COCOS
    COCOS Member Posts: 11 New User

Hmm... so if I download a copy of same version Win 8 I can reinstall it with out imputing the key? 

• pearsonchuck
    pearsonchuck Member Posts: 1 New User

I am trying to add win media player and it ask form my win8 product key. Please help get me key from system

• jaya
    jaya Member Posts: 1 New User
    Help me find product key windows 8 in my labtop
  • Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

I could be wrong here but I believe that win media player is only available with Win8 *Pro*.

If so, I doubt it would install using your current 'standard' key anyway.

• Thabang
    Thabang Member Posts: 1 New User
    How to get product key free of charge
  • EmulPedmon
    EmulPedmon Member Posts: 1 New User

Pretty sure you are wrong...  Go to Control Panel, then Programs and Features, thenTurn Windows features on or off.  I had to deselect Windows Media Player, reboot, then reselect to activate.  Still think its wierd with no product bkey for Windows *

This discussion has been closed.