What type of PCI slot do I have for my Graphics Card in my Acer AM 3450?

judeline
judeline Member Posts: 4 New User

Please help me with my Acer Aspire AM3450.

I need to update my Video Card, but first I need to know what type of PCI slot I have. There is lots of talk about PCI Express 3.0 x16. Do I have that? Or, do I have a PCI Express 3.0? Then there are PCI Express 2.0 and obviously other types of Video Cards. Which one do I have? How do I find out?

Without knowing what type of PCI slot I have, I cannot choose the correct Video Card.

Thank you for any help from the Community or the Staff at Acer.

Judeline

Answers

• Juzzo
    Juzzo Member Posts: 117 Troubleshooter

As far as I can tell, that computer came with a AMD Radeon HD6450 installed. That thing has a PCI Express 2.1 x16 bus interface.

Easy enough to find a replacement, however your power supply is at 300W, you will more than likely have to upgrade this as well if you want a more powerful GPU than what you have now.

• judeline

Thank you Juzzo for that information. It is appreciated.

May I ask more related questions please?

Is it a good idea to upgrade my Video Card? from PCI Express 2.1 x16 to a ?? PCI Express 3.0 x16 ?? I assume (because I don't know) that the 2.1 and 3.0 are the versions??????

and ... Would a 500W power supply be sufficient?

Judeline

<script id="overlay_tmpl" type="text/html">// <div id="<%= overlayId %>" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>"></div> // </script>
  • Juzzo
    Juzzo Member Posts: 117 Troubleshooter

The 3.0's should be backwards compatable, so that shouldnt be a problem.

As to wattage, I would shop for a GFX card first, then get a power-supply based on what the card needs.

In addition to wattage, you want to pay attention to how many and what type of power feeds it needs, you may end up with one that wants 600 watts and one 6 pin PCI plug, or you may end up with one that wants 300 watts and 2 4 pin plugs. Smiley Wink

Its all pretty easy, just go with the card first...take a tally of what your computer needs in the way of plugs, then match a powersupply to the existing + new gfx card plug needs.

• judeline

Thank you Juzzo.

I appreciate your helpful suggestions, and will do as you suggest.

I sent you some Kudos. Hope that was appropriate.

Judeline

This discussion has been closed.