W510 unable to connect to a Toshiba 2.5" USB HDD

srbhiscock
srbhiscock Member Posts: 1 New User

Earlier today I bought the W510, with one of the main selling points being the ability to attach a USB HDD to it to keep me entertained when I go away for a few weeks.  

I've gone through the process of updating both W8 (avoiding 8.1CP at the moment) and the latest firmware from the UK website.  However, I am unable to get my trusty Toshiba Canvio USB 2.5" HDD to connect to either of the W510 USB ports. 

The USB HDD is known good, working well with my Win7 laptop. The W510 USB ports work with a 32GB Sandisk Cruzer Edge and a RAT7 mouse.

Is this a power/current issue?

As you can imagine I'm a little disappointed that one of the sales features that I wanted to work out, isn't at the moment!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

You must use a self powered device (like HD or CD drive) on usb port.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The W510 (and W3) are limited on USB power (probably all Clover Trail devices). You need to use either a self powered device or a powered hub.

I have a GearHead UH7250 7 port powered hub (under $15 from Amazon with wall wart) on both of mine. (says for Mac but I just liked the white and very thin).

BTW all 14 episodes of Firefly and the movie Serenity plus about 200 music albums fit on a single 64GB microSD.

This discussion has been closed.