W510 S0i3 state

cr3v3tt3
cr3v3tt3 Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi

Is there a way to disable S0i3 state when the tabled is plugged in? I would like for example to listen to some music with the screen turned off but everything stops when i shut it down

Best Answer

• whiskey
    whiskey Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

cr3v3tt3 wrote:

Hi

Is there a way to disable S0i3 state when the tabled is plugged in? I would like for example to listen to some music with the screen turned off but everything stops when i shut it down

You may easily accomplish music playback with the screen off and the system in a lower power state by playback with a Windows 8 application such as the default start screen Music application or most other Windows 8 appplications from the store.  It is not currently possible for a desktop application (ie. Windows Media Player) to continue running and use the audio stack.

Connected Standby modes are active and available as per Acer's default configuration.  This will not be if you have made a clean installation of Windows.  If that is what you have done, then you must install Acer's drivers and run the commands found in:

C:\OEM\Preload\POWERWORKAROUND

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

SOi1 and SOi3 are both essentially "sleep" states which idle the processor. Since sound requires converting digital to analog, the processor must be active.

To disable SOi3, you would either need to change power management timeouts or find a background utility that will keep the processor active.

• whiskey

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

cr3v3tt3 wrote:

Hi

You may easily accomplish music playback with the screen off and the system in a lower power state by playback with a Windows 8 application such as the default start screen Music application or most other Windows 8 appplications from the store.  It is not currently possible for a desktop application (ie. Windows Media Player) to continue running and use the audio stack.

Connected Standby modes are active and available as per Acer's default configuration.  This will not be if you have made a clean installation of Windows.  If that is what you have done, then you must install Acer's drivers and run the commands found in:

C:\OEM\Preload\POWERWORKAROUND

• whiskey

Tinkerer

padgett wrote:

SOi1 and SOi3 are both essentially "sleep" states which idle the processor. Since sound requires converting digital to analog, the processor must be active.

To disable SOi3, you would either need to change power management timeouts or find a background utility that will keep the processor active.

Incorrect.  Such power management changes are unecessary on a Connected Standby system such as the W510.

Read above.  Nothing is to be disabled. This is a Connected Standby system and the resolution is simply to use a Connected Stanndb aware program and has nothing to do with power timeouts or manually interfering/controlling sleep states. 

• MayWu
    MayWu Member Posts: 51

Tinkerer

Hi ,

Have you update driver already ? Problem still happend ?

This discussion has been closed.