W3 and private hotspot

tomnovak
tomnovak Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

Hello all,

when outside, I am using JoikuSpot on my cell phone for my Win 8 comp without a problem (right now e.g.).

I bought W3 instead of Blackberry Playbook which has blocked any ad hoc connection and believed, it must work on Win 8 tablet.

When I was using Win 8 on W3, system detected hotspot but didn't connect. There was an error msg like "connection lasts excessively long ..."

Now, I use Win 8.1 and system doesn't detect a hotspot at all.

On some other forums I found an information, tablets are blocked to use hotspots but it sounds strange.

I still believe it must be allowed to set it in Win settings. But where?

Thanks in advance.  

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Are a number of possibilities including the phone hotspot being walked on by something else on the same channel

If it were me, I'd download INSSIDER to the Windows machine (free for home use) and see what is available, their channels, secureity, and signal strength.

If the JoikuSpot does not show up at all then I would be checking the phone out.

ps Given a choice I would use ch 1, 6, or 11 but if those are in use then a clear channel at least 2 away from others.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

It's a little tricky to setup an ad hoc network with Windows 8 (and I assume with 8.1 as well). Try this method and see if it works.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tomnovak

Tinkerer

to padgett: thanks for reply. unfortunatelly, it doesn't help. finally I tried what you recommend and pls see the result:

1. inssider detects the spot (1st position)

2. widows doesn't detect it.

I would assume, it has something with ad hoc connection permittion. On windows XP I had to release it manualy, Windows 8 - I don't know. My laptop with Win 8 uses this hot spot normally.

acerhelp.jpg

• tomnovak

Tinkerer

to billsey: thanks for your reply.

the article you recommend explains how to create hot spot from your Win 8 machine.

did I understand it well?

my problem is different: I'd like to connect Iconia W3 tablet to another hotspot.

maybe i didn't get it, in that case pls for nearer explanation.

thx

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

OK picture is hard to read but looks like the Netgear 3F is walking all over the red on 9 (your access point ?), I'd move it to 11. Can you cut the Netgear down from  a 40 mHz spread to 20 ? Move it lower (ch 1 ?) Should be options.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

I've gotten to the point where you can connect to a network using a manually typed in name. Maybe that would allow the ad hoc connection...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.