W3 - Goofed - micro sd card

f2
f2 Member Posts: 24 New User

I placed it in the sd card in the slot at the top.  How do you remove it?  I expected it to pop out on pushing but it does not do anything. 

It does recognize the contents but I would like to be able to remove it!

HELP

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I just push in with a fingernail and it pops up.

• f2

No, it does not.  At least mine does not.  And it was inserted correctly since I could read the files on it.

Support said I would have to send it in for repair with a 10 day turnaround time!!!!  I may hit Office Depot and see if their repair squad can do anything although if the spring is broken, they may be able to retrieve the card but ....

• f2

I will reply to my own posting.  Got it out with a very thin pen knife blade.  Gently reinserting it - still no spring response.  It may need replacement.

• padgett

I'd check for a local OD that has a replacement, if less than 14 days they should replace it. Some stores have them.

• f2

I don't know if they have any but it just opened about 1/2 hour ago.

The issue now is to remove all of MY stuff and any identity stuff - always a pain.

• f2

First, let me ask - you or others actually were able to insert and then "spring" release an sd card from the W3?

I returned the unit and the keyboard.  They did not have any in stock.

When I left, they were still trying to figure out how to get their SD card out of the Demo Floor Model.  It, too, would not release the card!!!

If it did not seat so deep into the slot, you could grab it with fingernails but it goes slightly below the surface making it impossible to grab and remove.  I was able to use mine again if I carefully put the card in, not quite all the way.  It would be readable. 

Oh, well, they said they would honor the price if I chose to try again once they got in stock.

• padgett

Yes. I have to use a fingernail to seat properly and then depress to make spring up but mine works like any other micro SD device I have (Samsung Tab 2.0 7 is more difficult to seat aand release) - and my nails are only about 1/16".

• f2

Thanks. 

No, these definitely just grabbed the sd card. There was no release mechanism on mine or the Demo at the shop.  Two guys poked and prodded and tried a paper clip.  Nothing was going to release it.  It would have to be pried out using some thin blade.

Let me ask, that pin hole to the right of the sd card - I believe it is a reset button.

I may purchase it again - it was a nice size and handling.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Just to confirm, I got my hands on a W3 for a few minutes and played with the Micro SD. I just used standard K Data microSD card that came out of my smartphone. The SD card sat 1/4" or so above the top of the tablet, and it did take more fingernail force than I originally expected to get the SD card into the right position. The first couple times I tried, I heard Windows make the sound that it recognized the card (it was making contact) but I didn't get it to click into place until I really pushed the card down into the slot. I was able to use my fingernail to push the card back down, which released it, and it came back to the resting spot which was with the top of the SD card about a 1/4" out of the top of the tablet.

The pinhole to the right of the slot is a reset button. Using a bent staple I was able to shut the machine down after holding for 4 seconds.

• padgett

That matches my experience, thought I remembered it being a little difficult to get into place the first time but nermal the next (I move SD cards around to add albums).

• f2

Acer-cory:

Neither the one I had nor the Store Demo, stopped and waited to be pressed down "against a spring"  Both just bottomed out as they were slipped into the slot.  There was no "toggle" or spring to reverse the process.  They were just stuck unfortunately. And they bottomed out so that the card's top edge was below the surface of the tablet - making it very hard to get it out again.  That's why I resorted to the pen knife.

Once I got mine out, I was able to insert it carefully so I heard the usb-sound and the card could be read.  Then I could slip a fingernail along the side of the card and flick it out.  I did that a few times.  But if I inserted just a tad too deep, I needed the pen knife again to wiggle it out.  No spring-load mechanism.  I did not want to chance getting a card stuck in there without the appropriate pen knife.  So I went to the store where their model had the same issue.

I know what you mean since my cameras all use the same press, a bit of pressure to resist the spring and they are in.  Then press in slightly and they pop up.  So I am use to that type of mechanism. 

• padgett

Tried mine again since setting up multiboot with a 149GB external drive and mine acts nermal.

• phonegunner
    phonegunner Member Posts: 11 New User

Got my 64gb W3 in today.... Staples price matched Office Depot and did a ship to store... and also used some of my ink rewards to cut the price a wee bit more...

To get back on subject...

The Micro SD works corrrectly popping in and out...

The Micro SD reads and writes and is happy with the 64GB Micro SD I have ... it is the SanDisk Ultra (the red and gray one)...and is the one from my W510 and has all the utilities and my own desired bloatwre...

The reason I see for the USB port being flipped over is so that you can use the micro USB adapter from Monoprice.com (and others) that have a right angle connector on them. On my W510 when that connector is used it covers the Micro HDMI port and doe not allow both to be used at the same time (of course the W510 comes from the factory with a straight connector on it) on the W3 there is no interference with both ports populated this way.

So far everything seems to be great with it.

Ted...

• padgett

Hard to believe they would flop the socket for such a logical reason. More likely they didn't want anyone making a universal dock that would fit both.

Thanks for the tip that the 64GB micro SD works, didn't want to spend $50 on a flyer when 32GB is a twenty.

Still using a bunch of 80GB removables in my main PCs, am mainly interested in proving that something can be done rather than how big or how fast.

BTW that recovery DVD will boot but took almost 20 minutes with the ACER logo and the white dot at top left. Anyone else experience that ?

Did the 64GB come with any cords or disks ? 32GB comes with one recovery DVD and no cords. The power connector while tiny does seem like a standard one.

• f2

Mine, also a 64, only had the charger.  It may have had a disk - I did not open all of the sealed envelopes. 

• phonegunner

Only the AC adapter / power cord no adapter cords like with the W510.

The documents were scant .. but there was the Microsoft code for office to enter to activate and worked well.

And ... no disc...

Also picked up the ACER case for it and it seems to hold the tablet real nice like it should.

A far cry from the case for the A500 (which now belongs to a daughter and her family... hand me down tech they love ...)

Ted

• sandorx
    sandorx Member Posts: 11 New User

So just to be absolutely sure. Is this the one you are talking about or another red and gray card? Smiley Happy

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010640729/sandisk-microsdxc-ultra-class-10-64gb/

• phonegunner

It looks to be the same one...

However since I did not translate the language I have to go by what the card looks like...

Ted...

• sandorx
    sandorx Member Posts: 11 New User

Of course not but the text on the SD card is the same?  Smiley Happy

This is the same one from Amazon.   http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007WTAJTO?ie=UTF8&tag=pric097-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1634&creativeASIN=B007WTAJTO 

• pogs
    pogs Member Posts: 2 New User

We have the same problem. So I just leave the 64 GB card inside for good. The bad thing when it pops out, anybody can steal it or you may lose it by accident. This happen to me once on my older tabs. I dont know if ACER did it this way.

This discussion has been closed.