V5-471P touch screen phantom cursor

ashleyblackbird
ashleyblackbird Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello all,

I recently bought and Acer Aspire V5-471P touchscreen laptop with Windows 8 OS. Within several minutes of initially powering on the laptop, the touchscreen had developed a phantom touch that occurs in only ONE spot on the screen.

I initially thought it was the touchpad, so I reinstalled the Synaptics driver; I disabled the touchpad; I even bought a Logitech USB mouse to use instead, but the cursor still keeps clicking over to that specific spot at random intervals. It is not connected to any particular program I am running, since I still have not installed any new programs to the computer.

It must be an issue with the touchscreen because when the mouse clicks over to that spot, it shows the visual feedback (that looks like water drops)that comes with touchscreen interaction. There is no option to disable touch interaction on this laptop (trust me, I've done everything Acer's troubleshooting page suggests and nothing is applicable to this laptop).

Any ideas what this could be? It's driving me crazy!

Please, please help!

Many thanks! Smiley Happy

Answers

• ashleyblackbird
    ashleyblackbird Member Posts: 2 New User

I just wanted to update anyone who might have this problem in the future. I found this after many hours of research:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-tms/disable-the-touchscreen-for-a-windows-8-laptop/ca7baeb9-66f3-43d4-ac4e-2be90d55591d

"

I needed to disable my touch screen on Windows 8 because my touch screen is defective.  This computer is an old Win7 tablet that I bought refurbished so the quality was questionable.

I was able to disable the touch screen by doing the following:

1. Right-click and select "All Apps" at the lower right corner, then select Control Panel

2. Select Hardware and Sound

3. Select Device Manager

4. Select Human Interface Devices

5. From the list, look for the driver for the touch screen.  This can be tricky since on my tablet they are all listed as "USB Input Device" and there are 3 of them.  I found it by disabling and re-enabling one at a time until the touch screen stopped responding.  You can also identify the touch screen by checking the Properties | Details and get the "Hardware Ids" then do a search online to see what the device is.  In my case, the touch screen has the ID USB/VID_0EEF&PID_7302.

6. Once you know which is the touch screen, disable the driver and the touch screen should no longer work

Enable this device to make the touch screen work again."

This discussion has been closed.