V3-571g Random "shut off"

BadZombie
BadZombie Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi I have a year old V3-571G. In the past month I have had two random shutdowns, at least that is what they semm to be. Both times occured while I was cruising the internet. What happens is the screen will randomnly go black and then about 5 seconds latter the power button will no longer be lit. However the Fan keeps running. I can take out the battery or push the power button for a shutdown and upon reboot it says windows was improperly shut down would you like to do safe boot and the other normal options.

Looking around the forums I found this topic

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-R7-Randomly-Shuts-Itself-Off-A-Power-Shortage-Issue/m-p/130757#U130757

and this one

http://community.acer.com/t5/Ultra-Thin/New-Acer-aspire-V3-571g-random-shutdowns/m-p/55747#M2179

However the first one is about moving the laptop around which is not the case for me, it occurs while the laptop is simply sitting still. The second one is not the same issue as it seems to still be running.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Hi....

You may perfrom a power reset.

To perform a power reset:

1. Unplug the AC adapter from your notebook.
    2. Turn the notebook over to remove the battery.  Insert a suitable tool into the latch and slide to release the battery.
    3. Turn the notebook back over and open it.
    4. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then release the power button.
    5. Turn the notebook back over and slide the battery back into place.
    6. Slide the lock tab back into the lock position.
    7. Turn over the notebook one last time and plug in your AC adapter.
    8. Turn on your notebook.
  • BadZombie
    BadZombie Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the feedback! I am assuming there is no notification of the task being done as I did not recieve one.

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi BadZombie,

You're right that there is no indication that the process worked, but frankly it's not very likely that this will solve your issue. If you find that the issue isn't happening anymore great, I'm glad it worked for you. If you find that it's still happening there are a few things that are more likely to cause this issue. First off, you say that it's happening mostly while you're on the internet? It's entirely possible that your browser is causing a glitch that forces the system to shut down. It's also possible that the problem is caused by something physical. A power drain is helpful if you can't get your unit to start up, or if it's stuck on a boot screen. Most often it's used if you turn on your unit, see lights but the screen doesn't turn on. Doing this forces the unit to assume default values for startup tests (POST). When you're already in your system it's far more likely to be either a software or hardware issue. If it does work it's usually the act of restarting the computer, rather than the drain itself that helps. To determine if the issue is software or hardware related I would suggest you take things back a step and do either a refresh or a reset. Essentially you'll be reinstalling Windows. If you have important files you don't want to lose you can do a refresh, if you don't care if you lose your files (or you can back them up) you should do a reset. The reset is more thorough so if you can I would suggest doing that.

Here are the steps for a reset from Microsoft's website:

To reset your PC

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)

2. Under PC settings, tap or click General.

3. Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows , tap or click Get started.

4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Hope this helps, take care!
      ScottyC
This discussion has been closed.