Using MHL on Acer Monitor G276HL Ebmjj

HaggaBon
HaggaBon Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

Just wonder if anyone can share his/her experience in connecting a smart phone to the G276HL?

This monitor comes with a HDMI(MHL) connector at the back of the monitor and I am trying to connect a Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE smart phone (running Android 4.1.2) but it cannot mirror my phone's display. (I am using the MHL cable that comes with the monitor)

Would very much appreciate a reply or any sharing of the similar experiences.

Tks!

Answers

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter

Really sorry for asking this, but...you do have the correct input selected on the monitor, right? - it should automatically default to whatever's active, but if you have multiple connects (say, VGA for your computer), it may not.

...did you contact Acer Support directly?

• HaggaBon

Thanks for your response. I think my connection is correct as

(1) the monitor will scan the various inputs if I press the "input" button;

(2) the monitor also show which input it is scanning on the top right corner of the monitor.

On the other hand the DCC/CI is "on" and ACM is "off" - what are these for? and are they the right setting for SMART phone input?

Tks

• HaggaBon

Hi,

I've also send request to Acer technical support. But they did not answer my question directly and just send me some links to irrelevant document. The person who reply to me doesn't seem to know there is a MHL function built-in to the monitor?? ;-)) Teh monitor came with a cable for this input too. 

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter

DDC-CI* stands for display data channel-command interface (assuming you got the acronym slightly wrong). It is an interesting option that supposedly allows your monitor to adjust its own parameters - brightness, color balance, or initiate degaussing.

ACM stands for (I think) adaptive contrast management. Again, it supposedly just changes your brightness, in this case in relation to the kind of material you're viewing.

^-- Whether these are on or off shouldn't matter when it comes to your problem, but I'd disable them anyways...you should be able to access this through your monitors settings. On that note, check your monitor settings for anything relating to the HDMI ports or MHL.

As far as Acer Support, I honestly am not sure how they are structured, but if you were introduced to a North American consultant (for instance), a dumbfounded reaction to 'MHL' might be understandable (though obviously not acceptable) as there is very little on the market here, none of which from Acer. I would try to keep contacting them until you receive some satisfactory information, as well as contacting the store from which you bought the monitor.

When searching for your monitor (took a while, as it doesn't show up on the NA or EU markets), I found out that it has 2x HDMI ports - check your monitor manual, as there may be a specified port for MHL.

So, just to clarify, you have an HDMI cord coming from your phone, into the MHL adapter, and then into an HDMI input on the back of the monitor...right? ...so, breaking these down into steps, you have 1) playing something (video/music/etc) on the phone, 2) plugging in the HDMI, 3) turning on the monitor. Try acting out these steps in a different order to see if you get a different response. Ex: First run; play video, plug phone into monitor, turn monitor on. Doesn't work? - backtrack...Second run; turn monitor on, plug phone into monitor, start playing video...etc. Hopefully one of these will work, but If nothing displays after each 'run', hit the input button on the monitor. If it cycles through the inputs (as you say), it should 'land' on the input you plugged your phone into...if it doesn't, the data isn't getting through for whatever reason, and there's likely a problem with the connection. If it does, but still doesn't display anything, there may be something wrong with the monitor. Either/or, at least we've made a step forward at that point.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how else to assist, as I myself am not very familiar with MHL yet. I don't think there is much of a knowledge base hailing from Eastern Asia, so I doubt you could receive much more help from these forums concerning your particular monitor. As I said, I would definitely suggest continuing to contact Acer Support until this is resolved...

• HaggaBon

Hi,

Many thanks for your patient reply. Will try it out.

Just to furnish some more background info.for the purpose of learning:

(1) the monitor I bought in Singapore, the support I contact was at the .sg website ;-). The retailer I bought from told me there is no MHL support but in fact it was bearing a MHL label on the box. On-line spec. is here:

http://www.acer.com.sg/ac/en/SG/content/model-datasheet/UM.HG6SS.E01

(2) there are in fact two HDMI ports at the back of the momonitor - one is marked as HDMI(MHL) -so I connect to this port. The other is just HDMI - I suppose this is the normal HDMI. (separate cables given - great Acer support - I like that)

(3) I suppose it is an Asian model so some may not be aware; even within the Asian range there may be variants though.

(4) Another thing may be that the MHL is not standardized yet?

Some info on MHL here: http://meetmhl.com/ I must admit I don't understand fully as I am just a "lay" user.;-))

I like this model and I hope to make full use of every function. ;-)) Likely MHL will be a standard monitor function in the future?

Taking your advice I will continue to contact Acer support. Hope they will respond.

Again, very much appreciate your ready response and suggestions. I hope Acer can really treasure people like you who are offering help to other Acer product users.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.