Updating to Windows 8.1 on Acer Iconia W3 tablet

satphonebrad
satphonebrad Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello.  

I just bought my W3 a few days ago and have been very happy with my purchase.  Today I installed the Windows 8.1 upgrade and wanted to share my issues.

The upgrade itself had zero issues completing.  Was actually impressed on MS for that.

I noticed my recovery partition is actually Smaller now?!? and I gained a few gigs of HD space.

The only hickup I found is that the display driver needs to be updated and it randomly crashs.  I went to windows update and it found the update but continued to fail to install.

The cure I used was to goto device manager, open the display driver, remove it and check box the delete driver option on the bottom, wait for the screen to wig out for a sec then back on device manager, have it refresh and goto the display driver that is there (Microsoft basic Driver) and open it up and update driver and have it search online.  Was able to install at that point without issue.

Hope that helps someone else out.

Also I gained another 3 gigs of space by going to Explorer, Computer, Right click on the HD, properties, disk cleanup, and do a system file cleanup.  Removes all the windows 8 leftovers.

My 2 cents.    

Very happy with my purchase.

Brad.

Answers

This discussion has been closed.