Random Freeze Up Acer Aspire One AO722

wysuzanna
wysuzanna Member Posts: 3 New User
Please help. Our Acer Aspire One A0722 Netbook locks up freezes randomly. This will happen anytime, even with programs that seemingly have little CPU or Memory use. Examples: Freecell, Firefox. Of course this also happens with heavier programs like Rosetta Stone. This will occur several times each day with the only recovery being hold the power key down and kill & reboot... with the expected loss of current file entry (homework, documents, web page)
Acer Aspire One, 4G RAM, 320G HD, 1Ghz.

Best Answer

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Did the freezing just start? If so, you may try system restore using the instructions at http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29266. You could also try completely restoring your system and reload Windows using the instructions at http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12869.

• wysuzanna
    This freezing started on the first day of owning this device. On my first day I used DeCrapifier to remove all the un-wanted bloatware from the PC. That program worked fine... except it might have missed a file or two that seemed to continue to attempt some operation (like show me some special sales garbage). Anyway, the solution ended up being: Go into Run/MSCONFIG/ then shut off some of the Startup files until you see no problems with freezing. In my case it was an iTunes push notification that I believe was the culprit. I also downloaded and ran a program called Autoruns that checked for running processes in the startup. In there I found several files that were running but had lost there associated programs. These were highlighted in yellow on autoruns so I disabled them. All is perfect now. Speedy little Acer Aspire One is very happy.
  • Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

It sounds as if something loaded on the system, or something that was removed from the system is causing it to freeze. We can support the computer in it's original factory configuration, but are not able to provide support for problems caused by third party programs. If you feel there is a hardware problem with your computer, I would recommend you contact Acer support for your region to inquire about setting your unit up for service.

• wysuzanna
    After my changes I am very very happy with the performance of this system. Thank You for your help. It is good to know that you are here in case I would like a system re-set at some later date. Thank You, Suzanna
This discussion has been closed.