Plug computer to electricity, tells me is charging but battery wont gain power, until I restart

guero17r
guero17r Member Posts: 5 New User

When I usually use my acer ultrabook aspire |M when the power its almost over, it tells me to plug it to electricity, when i do, it stops telling me to do so, the computer says its charging, but the battery wont gain any power. It does gain power until y restart the computer... Is it normal ? This is the way it should be? Is a protection for the battery life?

Thanks.

Answers

• suniljp
    suniljp Member Posts: 166 Troubleshooter

Check in the task bar on the bottom right Conner if the battery icon say plugged in charging.

If it say charging your laptop battery is charging if not there might be some issue with the charging process.

You can check if there is any BIOS update for your particular model laptop in the acer support webiste. You can go for a BIOS update it might solve the issue.

Regards

Sunil

• guero17r

I did what you telled  me, and downoloaded the "3G_Acer_2.09_A_A" update epxpided 1/29/2013 Bios update for the Product Model: Aspire M5-581T ultrabook (mine), but once y try to install it it tells me that theres is an "AC detect error" and wont let me go any further.

Any idea?

Please help Smiley Sad

• suniljp
    suniljp Member Posts: 166 Troubleshooter

Try to power on the laptop with AC adapter alone. To see if it is an issue with the adapter. If you have a multimeter check the output voltage of the adapter.

While you try to update the BIOS the error message denotes there is some issue with the adapter . As the updating of BIOS require power from battery as well as the adapter.

Also try a power reset. Follow the below link to perform power reset if it is not a power smart battery.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13677/kw/power%20reset/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2MTUyMDIwNS9zaWQvclhra0R0amw%3D

For power smart battery

Look for a  reset switch on the bottom or right or left side of the laptop. Press and hold the reset button with the laptop powered off and the adapter disconnected.

I doubt its an issue with the adapter or the power circuit of the laptop.

Try the BIOS update version 1.12 the others are for windows 8 upgrade.

• guero17r

Well, I did all you told me, and still didn't work I couldn't update the BIOS to 1.12 couse it told me that it was incompatible, but some how I manage to update it to 2.09, and I also did the power reset to the battery but still doesn't gain any power unless I restart my computer o put it to sleep and turn it back on...

So what should y do ? Should I get my money back ?
    I've seen that IM not the only one with this issue, is it an acer manufacturer problem ?

Should I get an other brand? couse I really need a good computer for college =/

This discussion has been closed.