My Acer Iconiatab A 300 has suddenly lost about 10 GB of storage capacity. It is now at 5.2 GB total

dwpeebles
dwpeebles Member Posts: 1 New User

What has happened to my storage capacity on my Acer Iconiatab A300? Suddenly it has dropped from its advertised 16 GB to 5.2 GB.

Answers

• lildv
    lildv Member Posts: 3 New User
    • The same thing happened with my Iconia A500.   Go to settings & look in location services and see if the locate by GPS box is checked.  If it is then that's the problem.  Uncheck the box and that will keep you from losing more capacity.  My understanding is that the gps locator keeps downloading little bits of data to your tablet which accumulates over time.  The data is located in a hidden folder and unless your tablet is 'rooted' (mine is not and i don't know how to root it) you will have to reset your tablet back to factory default.  That means losing all your apps, pics, music etc.  There may be a way to save all your stuff & possibly someone here can help with that.  Hope this helps.

• Toyland
    Toyland Member Posts: 9 New User

There is a "patch" you can download to fix this problem. This page has the details http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29339

I put the word "Patch" in quotation marks because it's really just a utility that cleans out the GPS data, it doesn't really eliminate the problem. Note, the "patch" comes with a read me file with directions on how to make it work. Follow the instructions to the letter or it won't work. You'll need a blank SD card for the utility to run.

This discussion has been closed.