Low on Space

rburcky
rburcky Member Posts: 2 New User

I am having a problem with a "Low on Space" warning and none of my apps will update because of it. I have 176MB free and a 32GB SD card with 30GB free, but a 582K update won't work. what gives?

Answers

• rburcky
    rburcky Member Posts: 2 New User

Seriously? Noone else has run into this problem? I went through and manually cleaned out all of my cache and uninstalled some of my "nice to have but don't really need them" apps... I now have 268MB of internal storage free and 30 GB of a 32 GB MicroSD card free and a meesly 128K update won't go through. I really like the tablet, but if this is what I'm going to run into... I might as well go back to a vic20 (Showing my age now) Smiley Mad

• Ians
    Ians Member Posts: 1 New User

Yes you me and many more are having the same problems with A100. I have been digging around and the problem is with the Acer release of ICS. The problem is that when GPS is activated the tab generates hundreds of .txt files. There are three fixes I know of for this, 1) For Acer to release a Patch 2) To factory reset the tablet (all data lost so beware and back up) 3) To Root the device (invalidates warrantee). Once rooted you will be able to locate the TXT files in Data/GPS. The only problem you will have to delete the files again in a few months. This will instantly free up system memory.

I use the Tab with the Co Pilot satnav app so I have to have GPS enabled much of the time, so it doesn't take long for this files to build up.

You shouldn't have to carry out this and invalidate your warranteee because of a problem caused by Acer themselves. This has been going on since the relase of ICS. I and many others I have read are considering never buying another Acer Product

because they show no signs of aknowledging this issue let alone releasing a patch.

• Julia
    Julia Member Posts: 1 New User

I have this problem on my Iconia W500 - it has practically nothing on it - I have even deleted all the games and videos that came with the Acer as I can't do anything with it.  It tells me I have low space then it goes to zero space but when I look there is hardly any space taken up with my files.  The only program I have on it is office 2010.  This is my second tablet - the first was faulty and wouldn't charge so went back - this one had the flickering screen problem which took me months to sort out until I found the firmware and now I have this problem - I have looked through all the help stuff on the Acer site and have only found a 'patch' - whatever that is - for the A series - I need one for the W series - not that I would know what to do with a 'patch - but this does seem to be what Acer is providing to address the same fault that I am experiencing.

Can anyone help me in really simple language that doesn't include a BIOS or reprogramming the tablet?

thank you!

• kiwipeso
    kiwipeso Member Posts: 82

Tinkerer

The W500 has the problem of using the full version of MS Office, so that is where your storage is going. For the android tablets, storage is being wasted by the GPS files made by google maps. Acer has had severe problems fixing that part of the system.

(I should note that as an android developer, google maps is the most complicated part of the OS & the fact that google maps is closed source, with the restriction of just one developer key per developer machine, makes it harder for large companies to develop for google maps.)

• kiwipeso

Tinkerer

Try deleting all the data associated with google maps. You should be able to do this within the settings for applications, manage applications, then delete the data cache of the google maps app.

The only bad point is that it will remove your favourite routes and so on, but you will get back your space for more gps trips.

• drlambert100
    drlambert100 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Is the originator refering to device memory or hard drive storage?

• kiwipeso

Tinkerer

The original post (OP) is referring to device memory, as the system can't be transferred to the SD card, it only allows those 3rd party apps which are enabled for SD card saving to transfer across to the SD card.

(You are looking at android 2.2 or 'froyo' apps [or newer] for this feature.)

This discussion has been closed.