Is it possible to use Acer restore disks on a new hard drive?

hdproblem
hdproblem Member Posts: 2 New User

The hard drive on my Aspire 5251 seems to have died. It was behaving erraticly and we tried a full restore through the eRecovery program a couple of times and it always errored out (error code 0x45d). We also tried from the disks we made when the laptop was new with no luck.

I bought and installed a new hard drive, but can't get the disks to install on it either. I'm guessing it's looking for something partitioned on the original hard drive because it says something is missing. It's out of warranty and I can't figure out how to order the full install disks from Acer. Is there any way to get these recovery disks to work?

Also, FWIW I installed Ubuntu on the new hard drive just to see if it works, and it does so I know everything is functioning at least.

TIA

Best Answer

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Yes, you can use your Acer restore disks on a new hard drive. If you installed ubuntu, you may need to format the HDD and create a partition on the hard drive before the disks will work.

Answers

• hdproblem
    hdproblem Member Posts: 2 New User

No Reply?? I'm certainly realizing that Acer isn't particularly interested in supporting it's out of warranty customers. This computer is less than 3 years old.

I think I finally found where to order the disks, but it seems strange to have to pay $20 for something that was purchased with the computer! Also, I entered the SNID, but nowhere in the ordering process did it indicate that the correct computer has been selected. I guess I'll find out in 5-10 business days....

In case it helps someone else, here's the link to order the disks....

https://store.acer.com/store?Action=DisplayDataValidationServicePage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=acerna

• st3ph3nnity
    st3ph3nnity Member Posts: 220 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi...is there no internal computer factory reset ? Unfrortunalely I don`t recall how I did mine as it was a while ago but try the windows forums where you`ll find more people and will find the help you need.

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Yes, you can use your Acer restore disks on a new hard drive. If you installed ubuntu, you may need to format the HDD and create a partition on the hard drive before the disks will work.

This discussion has been closed.