Information About the w700

jmrandall
jmrandall Member Posts: 3 New User

So, I'm about to buy a new tablet that has the full windows OS and I'm wondering a few things.

First I'd really like to hear people's personal opinions and experiances with it. 

I haven't yet desided on the i3 or the i5 yet.

Regarding that. I didn't see on the acer site if the i3 comes in anything except with 64gig, do they make it with 128?

And has anyone got a opinion on the windows 8 pro verses just the windows 8 OS?

Also does the i3 version come with any 3.0 USB ports?

The specs on the acer site don't seem to tell the whole story so I was hoping to get some input from those of you that own this bad boy.

I was also considering the windows surface pro but, I'm not so sure the acer isn't a better machine. Maybe I could get some feedback on that from you all as well.

And anything else you might thinl I should know about, good or bad, with regard to the 700 I3 or I5 would be real helpful. 

Thank you very much,

Mark

Answers

• wmm
    wmm Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter

I can't say anything about the i3 version, and I've only had the i5 Pro version for a few days.  I will contribute a few observations, though.

Check out Wikipedia article on the various versions of Windows 8 for a good comparison.  The only thing that made any difference to me was the ability to install Windows Media Center, which requires the Pro version.  Other differences include the ability to accept Remote Desktop connections (the non-Pro version can only be a client) and virtualization support.

The differences between the W700 and the Surface Pro can be summed up fairly easily: the Surface has an active digitizer and a microSD slot to add storage, and its screen is an inch smaller.  The W700 comes with more accessories (notably, a desktop dock and a keyboard cover are included; the Surface doesn't offer a dock and requires you to buy the keyboard cover separately), and it has, conservatively, a couple of hours more battery life than the Surface.  For me, the dock and the battery life were substantially more important, so the decision in favor of the W700 was easy for me.  (I'd also note that the capacitive stylus that came with my W700P -- not sure whether it comes with any other models or not -- is accurate enough for my uses, i.e., selecting text regions and small screen elements; I don't need pressure sensitivity, hovering, and the extra level of accuracy you get with an active digitizer.)

• jmrandall

Thank you for your information. So, how's the pro working out for you? Have you noticed any issues with it? Or do you think it's well made and very usable?

• wmm

So  far, I've been extremely pleased with my W700P.  The screen is very bright (I keep it set on 25% and it's as bright at that level as the external monitor I use it with) and clear.  The battery life seems excellent, although I haven't done a run-down test and have mostly used it plugged in so far.  The performance (non-gaming) is very good.  I haven't had any of the problems with wifi that other people have reported: no dropouts, and the speed and signal strength are fine at the opposite end of my house from where the router is.  The keyboard case works fine -- well, about as well as you can expect from a keyboard that's about an eight of an inch thick, which only allows a half-millimeter for key travel.

My only complaint, if you can call it that, is with the dock, which has some small deficiencies.  First, although there are pass-throughs for power and USB, the microHDMI connector on the tablet is left exposed, which means I have to plug and unplug the video cable separately whenever I dock the tablet.  Second, there are only two angles at which the support in the back can hold the tablet in landscape mode, and neither one was ideal for my desktop use.  I addressed that by putting a thick paperback book under the front of the dock so it leans back somewhat further.  However, at that angle the torque that holds the support into the slot on the dock is reduced, rendering it more likely to slip out.  I wedged a couple of toothpicks between the support and the back of the dock and haven't had any further difficulties.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase.

• jmrandall

I really appreiate your input. I went ahead and bought the W700P last night. I also got a 3.0 mini USB hub, a bluetooth mouse, and a USB to LAN connector. I figured that way I won't need to take my dock station with me all that much. It isn't hard having those few items with me.

Biggest thing to me is the battery life and of course, that it runs a full windows 8 OS. I have a friend that wroks at Microsoft (I live in Washington State) and he told me I shouldn't really think about the Surface till the next version, well I'm not waiting that long. And from what I've read in reviews, most the other windows 8 hybirds have some major issues. Not that they all don't have some, including the W700P but, all in all I think this is the best one for the money.

I'm not into gaming so I'm not to concerned with some of the issues I've seen with the i5 turbo throttling. However I'm getting the i5 because I'm a web developer and even thoough I won't be doing much of that on the tablet ( I use my desktop for that), you never know when I gotta use photoshop or something that requires some power. Plus the bible study software I use (Accordance) will require a full windows OS not just a RT version.

Thanks again for your help.

• gregb
    gregb Member Posts: 9 New User

wmm, Wonder if you could tell me if you have the Dagi 508 that has a spring and clear disc on end.  Not your standard nib.  Thats what came with my W700P.  It's style that I had not seen elsewhere.

• wmm

Yes, that is the stylus that came with my W700.

This discussion has been closed.