Iconia W700 Build Quality Issues - Touchscreen and Battery

venturis
venturis Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I've just purchased an Iconia W700 (Core i5 / 128GB) and would like some community feedback on a couple of issues I've had with the build quality.

The unit was purchased brand new and sealed in the box in November 2013 however, the build date on the box showed that the unit had been built in December 2012.

I discovered, immediately after removing it from tha packaging that the portion of the display was lifiting away from the body of the tablet.

When I press lightly at any point across the bottom of the touchscreen I could see and feel the screen moving somewhere between 0.5 to 1mm.  When tapping around the touchscreen with my fingers the screen sounded hollow.

I'd never seen any tablet where the screen was not firmly fixed to the tablet body.  I expected that dust and other particles would very soon find there way under the touchscreen and might either be visible or cause other problems.

I rang the local Acer repairer and was told that they'd never heard of this problem before and suggested returning the tablet for an exchange.

The second tablet was also new and sealed in the box and whilst now as bad as the first there is still movement between the touchscreen and the body of the tablet when press lightly. 

The second problem encountered was that after the first full charge the battery showed 100% with the charger attached. Immediately after unplugging the charger, the battery percentage dropped to 88%.

To check that I was not seeing things, I charged the unit up to 100% again but it seemed to not take very long.  Again, after unplugging the charger the battery capacity fell immediately to 87-88%.

I'm doing a full discharge/charge cycle for the first time to see what happens but if the problem persists I'm afraid I'll be going back to the retailer for another unit but this time I might see if I can get a later build date.

If anyone has had similar experiences I would appreciate hearing from you.

Answers

• Ethos
    Ethos Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter

warranty immediately 

• exscentric
    exscentric Member Posts: 78 Troubleshooter

I would return it.  The manual suggests the discharge/charge cycle three times.  Mine was a recertified and it would only show 90% but as I used it for a week or so it was doing better.

The screen problem is not right. 

• ericblue
    ericblue Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same issue bought a refurbished acer iconia w700_6499 with 90 day warranty but when i charged battery it showed 100% but when i unplugged the charger it immediately fell to 81%. I tried charging four times all ended at 81% when unplugged. I called Acer customer support and they said the battery is not part of the 90 day warranty. Plus, I called back and the computer would not connect me to customer service, I guess Acer does not like troubleshooting or fixing their products. So I returned the unit today, 12/19/2014, and requested a full refund of $620.00 for a lousy product plus the recertified w700 came with minor scratches on the gorilla glass screen. I thought gorilla glass could not be scratched as I was mistaken. The touchscreen was slow to touch as sometimes it was quick other times I had to double touch to open apps. I would have kept it with scratches on recertified refurbished w700 unit but the battery was not acceptable. Truly a dissapointing product. I should not have to try to make the battery to function correctly so it was adefective battery and product.

• ericblue
    ericblue Member Posts: 2 New User

Acer Service team is not easily accessible by contact, and they dont have customer service phone number to call and ask questions on your tablet unless you have a ssid number to provide to computer automation.  Even Chat says it is was closed and to use Acer Community Forum. I dont understand, Acer - you hide from the people that want to trust and buy your product lines and I can not even call in to get convenient help answers from you, as your line of tablets are refurbished because of a manufacturing issue with them. I returned my tablet "Acer Iconia W700-6499 128Gb" because it was showing a charge plugged in at 100% then when unplugged it would drop to 81%, as long as I had it which was not long because I sent it back to seller for full refund. It came with a 90 day warranty and since I had a warranty still I was able to talk to customer service after the nearly impossible automated computer kept telling me to go to Acer Forum for answers and finally on 7th call to get through I got to talk to customer service person who told me the 90 day warranty does not include warranty for the internal battery but only for non-functioning/defective hardware parts. Then was told to post to Acer Forum or send the item back to seller. I thought RECERTIFIED REFURBISHED by ACER was under the category as like new and equivalent to new. One more way they try to sell off this defective line of product with so many refurbished but the battery is excluded because they know these refurbished recertified will be sent back agin and cost Acer more money to fix. Maybe, the battery cannot be easily replaced as time will tell as these expensive tablets one day will not hold a charge anymore.

This discussion has been closed.