I have an Acer E1-571, need to restore windows 8

TransAmDan
TransAmDan Member Posts: 6 New User

Okay I have a new-ish laptop,  ALT-F10 get me into a recovery window

Recovery

Your PC couldn't start properly

Error Code :0c0000001

You need the recovery toold on you installation media. If you dont have installations media then contact your PC Manufacturer.

Well No media seems to come with laptops these days. So I'm contacting the PC manufacturer, well this forum seems to be the only method to talk to someone.

The HDD partitions seems to be intact. I can read them with an Hard drive partition manager on another PC. I'm happy to reinstall windows, but how on earth do I do that with no media??

Answers

• TransAmDan

I took a copy of the hard drive using Paragon Hard Disk Manager, this done a copy of all 6 partitions. The copy looked great, it was only done as a fall back issue. The laptop is for a garage, whos diagnostic software only works on Windows XP. After speaking tot he software guys they said they had NO plans to make it compatible with windows 8. So I got WinXP 64 working on there a treat. However there was still an issue with the diagnostic software, and now they have releases a version that works on Windows 8. 

So now I'm trying to revert back to windows 8, after doing the 2.5hours copy back from the Hard Diskmanager I just go round in a loop with the message in the first post.

I'm sure if I had recovery media it would be fine.

The Hard drive/partition restore had brought it back to a GPT drive with various partitions, 4 being NTFS, one being Fat32, another being blank space of FAT16.

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Taking a clone of Windows 8 is dicey at best.  I found I had more luck using Acronis Trus Image, even then it was 50/50.

A backup disc set could have been burned off whilst the operating system was intact but that opportunity is now gone.  Probably best to phone Acer and buy a set of discs for your notebook.  Have your serial number of the notebook handy.

If you have another E1-571 then you could burn a set using the Acer Recovery Management application.

• TransAmDan

Yes I have the laptop here, and serial number on it.

How does windows 8 licencing work? I know with previous versions of windows there is a 25 digit key stuck to the laptop. This one dosn't have one. I hope that dosn't hinder the install.

Thinking back it would have been best to go into window 8 and do the backup from in there. I was hoping the Hard drive image would do a nice job, and wasn't planning on putting windows 8 back on. I never actually booted into windows 8.  I have another laptop (not acer) checked drivers were avaialbe for the Acer in 64 bit windows XP and went that route.

Anyway thanks for the input. I will give Acer a call.

• TransAmDan

Well I made the call. Was on hold for about 6 mins to a premium rate number. so that wasn't too bad, the lady was polite, but a little hard to understand. I explained I needed the recovery CD's, she wanted to know why, and where was it purchased, wanted the date of birth of the unit, I gave the SNID number. She took my address and email, and then put me on hold for a further 2 mins. Came back to say I must phone Currys (the place it was purchased from).

So the 15min call ended up with the solution of phoning where it was purchased from. (well not the solution yet) 

• TransAmDan

Currys(know how) couldn't help, they gave me the number for Acer Recovery, 0870 853 1110. 

They have emailed me a form to fill in. Once that been returned it will take up to 14 days to make the disks, and will be on a next day delivery from Acer Recovery.

Lets hope I can fill in the forum. It seems to be talored for Vista, 7 or earlier versions, as they want whats shown on the Microsoft licence label, however this laptop dosn't have a label like that, is that because of window 8. Perhaps its still in the box. I will check when I get home.

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Sounds like good progress. 

As far as I know all of the manufactured notebooks with a WIndows 8 OS already installed do not have license keys as such for the customer to have in their hand so I would not worry about that on the form you fill in.  Just write on it Windows 8.

I have opened untold amounts of Windows 8 laptop box's, you won't find a serial number.

Good luck and best wishes !

• TransAmDan

Very impressed with the 'Acer Restore' that I contacted. I filled in the form and emailed it back that day. Yesterday the 6 DVD discs arrived and I began the restore to factory settings. It took around 3 hours, not must user intervention required only to change DVD's over. 

They estimated 2 week delivery, it was only a matter of days. 

So I'm all up and running now. Smiley Happy yay.

This discussion has been closed.