I cant seem to get the recovery created it freezes before completion

gva
gva Member Posts: 4 New User

I have been trying to create the recovery drive for my new computer.

windows 8 OS

I have tried 2 different flash drives one is 16 the other is 32 GB.

The first time support said to format the drive then try again....  Didnt work

the second time support said to do a factory data reset then try again....Didnt work.

now I have to wait till monday to get the next level of support.

So please help.........

The issue seems to be,

while creating the recovery drive the bar graph goes almost to the end, maybe 98% complete, then it just stops. and will sit there for hours.

The new Cruzer drive(32 GB) I just put in is doing the slooooooow blink (like its waiting, no data being transfered anymore)

when canceling the recovery it frezes as well, I have to open Task Manager to close it

Any thoughts on how to get this recovery drive created?

Answers

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Good day

You must have your flash drive on FAT32 file system then create the factory default backup.

Regards,

Freeza

• gva

I falready formated the flash drive as FAT 32. is that what you mean?

• gva

Anyone have a fix for this?

I would really like to get this recovery drive created before I use it too much.

• steveg1909
    steveg1909 Member Posts: 5 New User

I have the same problem, used all formatting types, still no luck. Would also love to hear of any solutions.

• tangier101
    tangier101 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the exact same problem as well with a new AZ5600 All-in-one.

• steveg1909

gva ... As you seem to be further along with Acer support than I am (awaiting reply to my first email) may I ask that i fyou  discover a solution to this problem that you can post it here please, as this seems to be a not uncommon (yet very frustrating) situation. The only temporary measure I have discovered so far is that the process works fine if you uncheck the option  to copy the partition drive.

Good hunting

• gva

Well I got off the phone with level 2 tech support, and they are sending me recovery DVDs.

So now I can start using my computer without fear.

There is a issue on some computers freezing up at 99% completion, they are aware of issue and are working on resolving it.

They were interested that mine was a all in one computer that was having the issue, (not sure what that means).

anyone else having this issue and have tried the following.

Reformated the flash drive to FAT 32 and have AT LEAST 15 GB of free memory on flash drive.

Have restored the hard drive to factory settings.

I recommend that you contact support by phone if possible and let them know.

I am VERY happy with the support they gave me.

I hope this helps others here, have a Happy New Year

• steveg1909

Hi gva

Good to hear that your impressions of Acer's customer service were so positive and that they have made every effort to resolve the problem. I have now been able to create the recovery drive for my AIO. After trial and error with various things what finally seemed to do the trick was when I formatted the usb stick to FAT32 (again) I unchecked the box for the option of quick format. The full format that followed (takes a while) seemed to solve the problem though I'm not sure why -the USB stick was, like yours, brand new - but there you go.

Regards

• ssk
    ssk Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
This discussion has been closed.