How do I store my pictures and music on the Acer C7 chromebook 320 GB hard drive ?

paniculam
paniculam Member Posts: 2 New User

Answers

• androsilicious
    androsilicious Member Posts: 15 New User

If you're using ChromeOS, you'll need to either use some kind of flash drive or external memory, or have the music and pictures stored somewhere online and re-save them to your hard drive.

As a tip, however, it would be much more beneficial to install ChrUbuntu and send ChromeOS out the door. You'll find that your C710 is actually usable after getting ChrUbuntu up and running. 

Take a look here: http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/2012/04/chrubuntu-1204-now-with-double-bits.html

If and when you install ChrUbuntu, it will be much easier to transfer your files over the network to your Chromebook using a Samba share, or even do it the old fashioned manual external media way.

Hope this helps. Cheers, mate.

• paniculam
    paniculam Member Posts: 2 New User

If I install ChrUbuntu and send chromeOS on it's way what will be the OS and will it work as fast on ChromeOS. I like the the spped of ChromeOS for its internet search. But it seems like ChromeOS wants the  laptop to be dedicated to just just doing cloud based and  internet activity on Google apps. Ironically Picasso my favorite Google app  will not work in ChromeOS as of today. I don't get that.

• mlauzon
    mlauzon Member Posts: 8 New User

paniculam wrote:

If I install ChrUbuntu and send chromeOS on it's way what will be the OS

The OS will be ChrUbuntu, it's actually a version of Ubuntu Linux.

• androsilicious
    androsilicious Member Posts: 15 New User

paniculam wrote:

If I install ChrUbuntu and send chromeOS on it's way what will be the OS and will it work as fast on ChromeOS. I like the the spped of ChromeOS for its internet search. But it seems like ChromeOS wants the  laptop to be dedicated to just just doing cloud based and  internet activity on Google apps. Ironically Picasso my favorite Google app  will not work in ChromeOS as of today. I don't get that.

The operating system will be Ubuntu (or rather, ChrUbuntu, a slightly modified Ubuntu). It will be as fast or faster, depending on what all you will have installed. The link I posted before has complete instructions on how to install it, and how to make the Chromebook boot directly to ChrUbuntu, bypassing ChromeOS completely. You will have access to your hard disk and files just as you would in most other operating systems, and you are not restricted to using only the cloud (however, Ubuntu does now have cloud-based services you can use if you wish).

Another benefit of this is being able to print without having a cloud-based printer, and the majority of USB devices will work out of the box. Any limits we are forced to endure under ChromeOS are lifted under ChrUbuntu. 

I will warn you, the touchpad can be a little wonky under Linux, so I would suggest using a USB mouse. You'll also need to configure some of the keys for certain functions like brightness, but it's relatively simple to do. 

Using my C710 and ChrUbuntu, I no longer have a need for such any expensive, over-engineered, and built-to-fail laptops. Once I can Windows onto this badboy (which has yet to be done by anyone), I'll consider myself a crafty consumer. 

This discussion has been closed.