How do I fix my Acer Aspire 5250 with a black screen and a blinking white underscore?

Suprakickz93
Suprakickz93 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have had my laptop for two years. I have Windows 7. It has been wrking fine up until a Windows update cause my system to reboot. After the Acer logo appeared it led me to a black screen with a white underscore blinking at the top left hand side of the screen. I have contacted microsoft and acer with oth not helping at all. I have tried the F8 upon start up and it doesn't work, only F2 and F12 work. I have also tried to connect it to my desktop moniter but the same white line occurs. I dont want to lose my information of my laptop. Can anyone please help?

Answers

• HK53T
    HK53T Member Posts: 767 Die Hard WiFi Icon
  • ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Absolutely right, it's a boot issue. F8 is a Windows boot parameter and F2 and F12 are bios related. You can try to repair it if you happen to have a copy of Windows 7 "not recovery disks". If not you're better off doing a recovery to return your unit to factory defaults. Instead of hitting F2 or F12, press and hold the ALT key and don't let go. Now boot the computer and start tapping on the F10 key, all the while holding ALT. You should see a white progress bar that pops up and the words "Windows is loading files". This will load the Acer eRecovery Management and you will be able to reinstall Windows. You can try to do the second option on the first page of the program to save your files, but I would suggest trying another method to be sure you don't lose anything if you have files you can't live without.

This discussion has been closed.