Established contributor rating !!!

st3ph3nnity
st3ph3nnity Member Posts: 220 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I would like to take issue with the rating system for contributing to the forum and suggest Acer find a new method of rating an individual responders worth or value to solving problems.

I occasionally chip in with an answer to some minor issues that posters have on this forum...trying to assist and make suggestions in a minor way...in no way could I contribute to solving anything other than a minor issue...YET...I find that I have "Established Contributor" next to my moniker...while I am flattered by such a rating I am not kidding myself here...or anybody else...please,this rather takes away the value of REAL contributors in this forum that suggest solutions to rather more advanced problems than I am able to consider.

Thanks...st3ph3nnity.

Answers

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi st3ph3nnity,

Assistance provided for 'minor issues' is equally important to the success of our community and your participation is highly valued.

Solving what seems to be a 'minor issue' might be a 'major relief' for the person who posted the question.

However, I will be sure to pass along your thoughts on the ranking system.

Thanks!

• st3ph3nnity
    st3ph3nnity Member Posts: 220 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Phil-3...Thanks for your kind words.... Smiley Happy

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

St3p

Most forums have some sort of contribution rating system and categorization by number of contributions.  I doubt if anybody really pays any attention to such nonsense.

The quality rating by Acer personnel, of responses to postings, would truly be time wasted. It would be far better that they devote this time to providing sound responses themselves.

I concur with the view that what you might modestly consider to be a minor contribution by you could be viewed as a major contribution by me. Without your contribution my computer could be more decorative than functional.

In my case, I only respond to posts where I feel that the topic is within my area of competence. That means that I have used the solution myself and it has solved the problem.

(OK, I admit that there are some postings that I cannot resist responding to with what I consider to be a bit of (warped?) humour. This will happen again and I now pre-apologize to those who will not accept it in the manner in which it will be intended.)

Leho

• Acer-Brad
    Acer-Brad Administrator Posts: 348 Community Administrator

The Acer Community uses an automated ranking system that allows a member to move up in ranking through continued interaction with the Community.  This interaction is measured not only by the number of posts made in the forums but also the time spent logged in to the Community as well as other key interaction factors.  So the Acer Community staff doesn't decide your rank.  You earn it.  

A member ranking system is important to our Community as it lends credibility to the statements made by ranking members and gives accolades to members who take the time to assist others.  Assisting other members can come in the form of a detailed technical response or a simple link to a needed driver.  There are many ways to contribute and all are important to that member in need of help.  

Also I should tell you that each rank is harder to reach than the last one. So you may think you rose in rank quickly and that is true for the lower rankings but the higher the rank the more a member must contribute

to reach the next ranking.  

By the way we are currently working on a new ranking naming convention which is more related to the electronics industry and is even a bit entertaining and educational.  Look for this to come in June.  

So do yourself a favor and pay attention to member rankings.  Top ranking members have earned it.

• mark59
    mark59 Member Posts: 1 New User

OK thanks, but for now I'm just feeling my way around.

This discussion has been closed.