Do you offer Acer Aspire S7 with i5, 256GB SSD?

jill_johnson
jill_johnson Member Posts: 2 New User

I am interested in purchasing an Acer Aspire S7.  Can I get it with i5 processor and 256 GB SSD?  I am interested in a larger hard drive than the 128 GB SSD and dont need the extra speed with i7.  I am trying to get the most laptop for the money and equip it to my needs. 

I'd rather put the money into the extra hard drive vs the processor.

Jill

Answers

• jonstatt
    jonstatt Member Posts: 76 Troubleshooter

At the moment the only country selling this combination is Acer's home country of Taiwan. I agree it is probably the best configuration. The i7 version is considerably noisier in terms of fan noise than the i5 while only being a maximum of 15% faster. Also the newer i5s are coming in with Intel 3337 instead of 3317 processors (1.8Ghz instead of 1.7Ghz) making that difference even smaller. But 128GB SSD is marginal at best, so I am not sure why they don't offer the combination you want in more places.

• jill_johnson
    jill_johnson Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks so much for your reply.  Very helpful.

• jmh43
    jmh43 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi - I have been looking for this configuration myself for a while. It is my belief that the 256GB S7 has been available in the USA for some time, search the American Microsoft store or Ebay.com. It is also reviewed on CNET as available there. I think that Acer are hanging on trying to sell a few more 128GB models here first, but will lose potential sales to other manufacturers if they delay much longer.

• thoots
    thoots Member Posts: 6 New User

One thing to keep in mind is how the S7 has memory card slots.  It depends on the model you want -- for instance, I've got an 11.6-inch model, and it has a MicroSD slot.  While that's not useful at all for, say, downloading pictures from my digital cameras, I'm not likely to be doing that kind of thing to the tiny little hard drive, anyway.

However, I bought a 64-gig MicroSD card to plug into that slot when I bought my S7, and, so far, I have all of my personal data on the MicroSD card.  While it doesn't get me to 256GB, it sure gives me a whole lot more useful room than I would have without it.

The 13.3-inch models have full SD card slots, I believe, and of course you can do the same kind of thing.  Presumably, capacities will increase over the years, and hopefully we'll be able to double our HD size or better with higher-capacity cards.  But, for now, I'm pretty happy to use my 64GB MicroSD card to increase my storage space.

This discussion has been closed.