Can not scroll with my touchpad....

Silver_Streak
Silver_Streak Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi guys, my first post, but my problem is, after updating to Windows 8 from W7, I cannot scroll with my touchpad, on a Aspire V5-571G series laptop. I have installed the latest Ellantech drivers, from the Acer download page (ELANTECH Touchpad Driver) for my laptop, but now all it says in the device manager is "ELAN PS/2 Port Input Device"? Seems a little strange??

Anyway still doesn't scroll. Sorry if this has been asked many times before, I'll learn how to do a search eventually, or be told!!, I guess. :-)

Answers

• Acer-Blayn
    Acer-Blayn Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Did you use the Acer upgrade assistant when you upgraded to Windows 8? If you no longer have scroll function, it would indicate the loaded driver does not support it, or has the option disabled. I recommend you try loading a different driver, that supports the scroll function, or restoring to Windows 7, then using the Acer upgrade assistant to reload Windows 8.

• Silver_Streak
    Silver_Streak Member Posts: 11 New User

Wow!! That's a loaded answer. From memory, and I've only had Windows 8 for a couple of weeks now, I may have done a mixture of using the Acer Upgrade Assistant and the Microsoft site as well. Not sure why I did that now? But it may have been, I wanted to download and burn to a DVD of Windows 8. Not sure if the Assistant gave me that option. But I do remember the Acer Assist site loading heaps of windows 8 drivers on, in the initial stages, as it probably did when using the Microsoft site. I was there for hours. So I may have messed things up doing it the way I did. As you say, I could go back to Windows 7 and start again, which I am thinking of doing anyway. Can't get my head around W8 as yet. I bit nervous about the process in going back though. Another short question, when I go to the Acer Support site, and Driver Downloads, it says... "This page only shows drivers that are not contained on this operating system"...?? Now has this scanned my computer and worked out that all the drivers listed (about 12) are up to date or on my laptop, OR it's just assuming I haven't got these drivers?? If I check using the Device Manager, the driver I already have installed seems to be later than the one on the Support Page list. Confusing?? Thanks for you help so far.

PS: I should add, my Touchpad still functions as far as moving around the page and clicking etc, just not the 2 finger scroll.

• Acer-Blayn
    Acer-Blayn Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

The driver download site does not scan your computer and determine what drivers you need. You must download each driver and install individually. Have you gone into your Elan touchdriver properties and see if the driver has the option for scrolling?

This discussion has been closed.