C7 Chromebook C710 - install windows 8 or Windows 7‏

fontibila
fontibila Member Posts: 1 New User

Good morning

I have a C7 Chromebook C710 with Parrot SUNGREBE A-D 5157 instaled.

I want to install Windows 8 or Windows 7.
I foud some help on the Acer web site but i get some error message on update to Windows 8 with Acer Assistent.

When i download the ziped file Acer Assistent, when i double click on the file i see more two files, setup.exe and Win8UpgradeKit_x86.msi (windos installer package). when i try to install any of these two files on my Chromebook i get the message that the system do not recognize these files.
I also try something on the PC with Windows 7 32bit and Windows 7 64 bit: - the setup.exe files show the dialog box : "sorry this computer is not supported", if i double click over the other file Win8UpgradeKit_x86.msi i get the error message: "to install please run setup.exe".

Can you provide me some step-by-step information on how to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 on my Chromebook?

Sorry about my english, so my language is portuguese.

Best regards

Amilcar

[edited for privacy]

Answers

• rese_archer
    rese_archer Member Posts: 1 New User

Unless things have changed since 2012, apparently you cannot install Windows on this Chromebook because the BIOS on the C7 is different and specifies a different bootloader that is not compatible with Windows.

The BIOS cannot be reflashed to a Windows compatible state. Thus, although the C7 hardware is similar to hardware for other similar Acer models that are Microsoft Windows compatible, it has been hardware limited to prevent Windows OS installation. The Windows OS license likely accounts for a substantial cost of similar Windows based units.

However, many people have reported they can configure the C7 to dual-boot to Ubuntu Linux.  There was a good article about this and how/why the C7 is locked on Ars Technica last year:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-acers-199-c7-chromebook/

Hope this helps.

Reader in Canada

This discussion has been closed.