Best Linux Distro for AMD APU with Dual Graphics

Boletus
Boletus Member Posts: 4 New User

I recently bought an Aspire V3-551G-X419, and I am wondering which distro(s) provide the easiest installation experience for an AMD APU with dual graphics (7660G and 7670M).  I am not too concerned about the general merits of one distro over another, since they all can do what I want.  I would like to be able to use the switchable graphics capability, but even that is secondary to not needing to muck around trying a gazillion command line arguments to see if they will work.  Any suggestions based on actual experience are greatly appreciated, and genearl knowledge about this specific question is also appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Answers

• Boletus

Well I went ahead and installed Mint (64 bit, KDE), and the install was pretty painless. I used the "guided" partition creation process, which left me unsure which direction gave more space to Windows vs. Mint, but the online user guide helped with that; right is more space to Windows, left is more for Mint. I opted for the KDE desktop since that is what I am used to, so I can't say if the other flavors would be as easy. The only difficult aspect of the whole thing really is getting Windows 8 to give up its lock on the computer. BTW, I have been using W8 for a few days now, and I utterly despise it. Anyone that says MS didn't throw traditional PC users under the bus to try to gain tablet market share is either ignorant or a shill. I still haven't figured out whether Mint is using one or both graphics adapters, but it works, and it's not like I will be playing Far Cry 3 or Skyrim in Linux anyway. BTW, yes, I realize I have been talking to myself, but perhaps a few breadcrumbs have been dropped for the next person who walks down this path. Thank you for your time and consideration.

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

While I make no secret of my loathing of Linux, your comments with regards Win8 are spot on the money. MS are trying to go head to head with Apple. I for one don't see them getting too far with the awful shambles that they've made of Windows 8.

It's ridiculous to give a finger swiping mobile phone OS to users who need to be productive (or am I being too harsh?).

Their attempt to lockdown Windows computers in order to exclude other operating systems is disgraceful. I may not think much of Linux but I do support the Linux threat of court action to stop them. Each to his own and I hope Linux can succeed and keep hardware open. It's the thin end of the wedge! I'm of the opinion that not many realise exactly what is happening.

While not terribly important, I was amazed to see that MS have abandoned their Win7 'Gadgets' already. Now you are just directed to their app store for Win8. I suspect they will cast Win7 users adrift ASAP!

You may wish to try Win7 in your 'soon to become empty' partition - it is excellent on my M5.

• Boletus

Actually, I have three licenses for Win 7, but I have been holding off on installing it because I wanted to give W8 a fair chance.  However, after spending about 35 hours with it, I can honestly say I have not seen a worse software environment since AOL in the 90's.  Everything about it is a step down from 7, to say the least.  You don't even get to play Solitaire unless you sign up for a MS account. 

And yes, I think MS absolutely should be sued on several fronts.  Not only have they gone to geat lengths to prevent users from installing a second OS, they are using W8 to force people to use their software store.  And then there is the fact that it is just a really lousey product in a PC environment.  If I wanted a tablet, I would have bought one.  If I wanted to fondle my LCD, I would have bought something with a touch screen.  If I wanted a screen with all kinds of garbage streaming onto my desktop, continuously consuming bandwidth, I would watch TV.  If I wanted big rectangles to take up my whole screen, making the simplest tasks more difficukt, I would have my head examined.

Oh, but it's *keyboard friendly* the shills proclaim, as if that's an excuse for making mouse navigation more difficult.  Well Word Perfect was very keyboard friendly in the 90's, so much so that everyone had three rows of shortcuts printed on a sticker above their function keys, but I don't see many people standing in line to use that anymore.

Regarding Linux, well there is a lot to not like about it I suppose (although it really has come a long way over the last few years), but if I could run modern games with it without the overhead of a virtual environment, I would cleanse my machines of Windows and never look back.

• Alan-London

Very well put I must say. I wish I had penned that! Smiley Very Happy

In the good old days I worked in a UNIX environment. We didn't have a GUI then and I openly admit that it is a tremendous OS. I have no problems with Linux either when used in a 'set it and forget it' role. I suspect it would run forever. Unfortunately, what's not what the consumer needs or wants. If one is a command line aficionado then it has to be the way to go. However, as a consumer GUI driven OS it is sadly lacking to say the least.

To be fair, I haven't used it for a number of years but I'm willing to bet it still revolves around KDE and Gnome in the same clunky way I remember. However, perhaps I should look again given your statement that it really has moved on. Mind you, I must say that for me at least Windows 7 is the best yet. Ok it does need occasional maintenance and fettling to keep it sweet but I find it minimal and the payoff far outweighs that.

Little or no emphasis seemed to be paid to the Linux user experience. The apparent insistence that typing line after line of what appeared to many to be gibberish was the only way to go has, in my opinion, held Linux back significantly. The command line died 25 or more years ago for goodness sake! Once 'they' accept that 'mouse' is not a dirty word and begin to put real effort into developing the GUI side then I would be extremely surprised if Linux couldn't mount a serious challenge for global domination! As it stands, and given how long Linux has been around with so little change, I suspect it is destined to remain hidden behind server room doors quite happy to run the www but never to see the light of day.

• Boletus

I would suggest you give Linux another try, just for curiosity's sake.  I expect that, at the least, you might merely dislike it rather than loathe it Smiley Wink  However, putting it on a Win8 machine is a [word filter avoidance], as discussed.  But really there is not much reason to use the command line anymore, unless that is what you are comfortable with.

A lot has changed, and there are only a few things holding it back.  One is support for the newest hardware, due to the fact that vendors have yet to see good reason to write drivers, but for anything more than 6 months old, the major distros propbably have usable drivers.  Another sticking point is the difficulty installing commercial software; but again that is due to lack of critical mass in the number of customers that want it.  And if you are only doing typical tasks, there is almost certainly a free application included in the standard OS installation that will meet your needs.  And that is getting better every day.

But I am sure of one thing; Windows 8 is the best thing that could have happened for Linux.  It is now actually easier to use than Windows for most PC users' purposes, at least with the mainstream distros  For a typical office environment, it is actually vastly superior, productivity-wise, and the learning curve from Win XP or 7 is less steep than going to Win 8.

• Alan-London

Ok, Ok, perhaps 'loathe' was a teensy-weensy bit extreme but 'merely dislike' just doesn't come close!

I'm pleased to report that I don't hang my hat in any one camp and will willingly embrace whichever technology meets my needs. Presently I make extensive use of both Microsoft and Apple systems (now I'm in trouble).

As a systems analyst and programmer, now retired, I continue to develop for Windows and, to a lesser extent, OSX so a switch to Linux would be out of the question. However, you have sparked an interest. Perhaps when I have a spare machine that I can afford to sacrifice (just joking Smiley Happy) I will have another look.

A major stumbling block of course was the lack of quality software. I certainly did not want to use what I saw as poorly designed code that was endlessly updated in the hope that eventually the author(s) would get it right. Not good enough! The amount of useless and/or just downright rubbish shovelware included for free was remarkable. I for one will pay top dollar every time for good software on which I can depend. This perhaps highlights what is arguably the most difficult hurdle that Linux has to overcome - no development = no customer base, no customer base = no development. I don't feel that cycle will ever be overcome by open source, community led development.

Let's face it, there has to be something seriously wrong when you can't even give it away. I realise that there are many takers out there but realistically, if it were genuine top quality software every man and his dog would be banging down your door to get it. That will always cost of course and any attempt to coerce the big players to commit the not insignificant expenditure, particularly in today's financial climate, is one very tall order. Perhaps this Microsoft blunder will be the catalyst that gives Linux a much needed leg up. If so, will it be enough?

Anyway, rant over. As I say, when I am able, I will hang my hat on yet another peg if only to see if my views require revision. I'll follow your lead and try Mint (so it will be your fault if it all ends in tears  Smiley LOL).

This discussion has been closed.