BIOS Update frequently asked questions

street-jumper
street-jumper Member Posts: 6 New User

First of all I'd like to say hello to all within this forum.

I'm a newbee here and like to find answers I could not find anywhere else.

I also checked with Acer Support via Live Chat as well as with their support groop. Help indeed was well appreciated, however it doe not work until now.

The issue I like to get resolved is the following:

I do have a Extensa 5220 Notevook, bought in 2008. Originally it came on Windows Vista, which I deinstalled and got XP on. At a later stage I needed to get the HDD changed and installed Vista again, as XP might be not longer supported in the near future. However the Notebook came originally with Vista Home Basic and it is on the machine again, it is extremely slowly now. The compter works fine, but slowly. Now I tried to increade RAM from 1 GB to 4 GB. Acer support mentioned, it should run, but it doesn't. Then they mentioned, I may should consider to get BIOS changed nd sent a link for BIOS upgrade. Currently I'm on V 1.22 - upgrade should be V 1.35 then.

The link for download works, however the programm started replies "Open flash.sys failed".

Does anybody here tried to get BIOS upgraded? How does it work?

Program should be run on Windows as Acer supprt told, but it does not.

Looking forwasr for your reply.

Thanks a lot in advance

street-jumper

Answers

• Babsubin
    Babsubin Member Posts: 30 New User

Hi,

Did you run the BIOS update, by double click on the set up file named " CLB-135 "?

• street-jumper
    Yes, this is the way it usually works. Does it not?
    I only know it that way.
    I'm not in front of the Notebook right now, but I could try to do it again and take some screenshots and get them posted here for further clarification.
  • As you may be aware (but feel free to disagree), Vista was an absolute disaster! You will, no doubt, feel your machine is running slower now as XP was and is a much better OS and faster too.

I suspect, having reverted, the reduction appears more significant - it always appears that way to me!

I fail to see the merits of a BIOS change in this case. It cannot, per se, make your machine run any faster.

• street-jumper
    It is not the BIOS which should speed up the machine, but probably the increased RAM I try to get installed. Perhaps it was unclear, but the intentoon for BIOS upgrade only was to get the machine up and running on 4 GB RAM. On current BIOS it only allows 2 GB.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

According to Kingston the 5220 only supports 2GB of memory. That may be a hardware limitation, not BIOS.

Haven't tried Vista but 7-64 runs nicely in 2GB on my Aprire.

• OK. Probably me reading it the wrong way. However, more RAM will only help in reducing page swapping - don't expect great things! I have also checked Crucial's site and they too suggest a max of 2GB.

However, the documentation that I have clearly states a max of 4GB in the slot table. The spec page also states, and I quote, "Up to 2 GB of DDR2 667 MHz memory, upgradeable to 4 GB using two soDIMM modules (dual-channel support)". unquote.

I'm not sure whether it applies to Vista but check that all the files are unblocked. Right click on each file and select 'Properties'. Under the general tab, check whether you have an 'Unblock' button. If so click it. You could also try running it as Administrator.

• street-jumper
    Well to be honest, page swapping basically is the issue I try to get solved. Once I'm using one program and like to swap to another, it feels like it takes ages. Once the machine is up and running it works well but I do not should expect too much further. The Notebook is more than 5 yrs. old! I know it is not able to work like a quad core or any other newer Notebook. As it workes fine except speed, I do not want to scrap it. Thats basically the reason. I only wonder, how Acer Support states it is able to do 4 GB but in fact it seems it only does 2 GB.
  • street-jumper

Thanks a lot to all of you for your well apprechiated help.

According to one suggest, I run the program as administrator and it started.

However it seems to run, I'm facing a new issue now.

BIOS update program now replies "Power Check Error".

Then it stops again and does not allow further stepps.

I also asked Acer Support what to do and will wait for some further reply from them.

Again, thanks a lot and best regards

street-jumper

• Are you running on mains power? For the record - Never attempt BIOS update without mains power! Golden Rule No.1.

If you are on mains, hopefully Acer Support will have the answer.

• street-jumper
    Yep, machine were connected to mains. Thats why I'm wondering....!?!?
This discussion has been closed.