Aspire 3990 - wifi ready?

kelvirino
kelvirino Member Posts: 1 New User

How do I determine if the model of desktop computer I have inherited is wifi ready/wireless compatible?  My sister-in-law bought it in 2011, and has only ever used it hardwired to their home network.  And now she has given it to me, but I need to be wireless, if possible.

I don't know where to check.  Yes, I'm old enough to have used a telex machine.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

hi...

It would be helpful if you provide the serila or SNID number of your computer.

The serial number sticker is located on the bottom of the notebook. It should contain several barcodes, one of which will be labeled SN and another SNID.

The SNID is an 11-digit numeric code located under the serial number. If you can locate the SNID, please use that number to identify your computer.

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi kelvirino!

Usually at the rear of your PC there will be an antenna (or a socket for one) - this will signify if your computer has built in wireless.

Capture.PNG

To ensure that the wireless is on, Click Start, Click Control Panel, Double-click Network and Sharing Center, Left-click the Wireless Network Connection icon,  Click Enable. You should have an icon there like these near your clock:

1.PNG 2.PNG

Alternatively, if there is no wireless built in on your model, you can buy a low profile wireless PCI card & fit it yourself. However if you're not confidant to do this yourself, your local PC store can supply & fit one for you....

This discussion has been closed.