Acer Liquid Gallant Duo: GPS ineffective!

jnimo
jnimo Member Posts: 3 New User

hello

I just received my Liquid Gallant Duo and I have been unable to have establish a GPS fix (AGPS or EPO do not help).

Neither the built-in application nor other GPS-specific application was able to get a GPS fix (I installed  'GPS test' which shows that no GPS satellites are detected).

Researching the web shows that this is not a rare occurence...

Is this a known bug and I will appreciate being directed towards a warranty-preserving patch, or is my phone's hardware at fault?

In case this matters, here are some configuration details of my phone: manufactured 2012 nov.; native ROM, version _1.000.18

Thank you in advance

Best Answer

• wwillemse
    wwillemse Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

Researching such a problem in the web will always show it happens.... because people never come to a forum to write "GPS on my smartphone works normally" Smiley Wink

Did you try the GPS outdoors, with a clear view to the sky? How much time did you wait for a fix?

(I have not seen any patch, and I would not yet assume it is a hardware problem before understanding clearly how you tested it - not saying it could not be a hardware problem, but one of the most common mistakes is expecting GPS to work indoors)

Answers

• wwillemse
    Answer ✓

Researching such a problem in the web will always show it happens.... because people never come to a forum to write "GPS on my smartphone works normally" Smiley Wink

Did you try the GPS outdoors, with a clear view to the sky? How much time did you wait for a fix?

(I have not seen any patch, and I would not yet assume it is a hardware problem before understanding clearly how you tested it - not saying it could not be a hardware problem, but one of the most common mistakes is expecting GPS to work indoors)

• jnimo
    jnimo Member Posts: 3 New User

"Did you try the GPS outdoors, with a clear view to the sky? How much time did you wait for a fix?"

I bit the bullet and spent some time outdoors (it's cold now in Western Europe...) and the GPS eventually established a fix (I had to wait for a few -5- minutes). You were right in saying that expecting this GPS to work indoors is a mistake.

The performance of this phone's GPS are nonetheless rather unimpressive: I had the opportunity to make a side-by-side test in a shop with a Samsung  Galaxy 2 (?): the Samsung made its fix in a snap, while my acer was still struggling to just detect some signal from the satellites.

• wwillemse

Sorry to hear I sent you out into the cold these days - I know it's freezing most places! Good that it did work though. Note that this unit does have a normal GPS chip, like the TomTom and Garmin navigators, while most phones use A-GPS only. A-GPS frequently is faster to get a lock, but it's less accurate as well. But admittedly, I have no idea about what kind of GPS solution the Samsung has. Usually, after getting a first time fix, any GPS fix afterwards should be faster, unless you use the GPS very very sparingly.

• latan
    latan Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I have the same issue on my brand new Acer Liquid Gallant DUO.

I upgraded to the last system version, but this does not change anything.

It fixes after 5 minutes or more, and whenever the device goes locked, even if I unlock it immediately, the GPS signal is lost, and 5 minutes at least are needed again to fix.

So either my phone is defective, and I should return it to the vendor, or it is "normal", and I'll bring it back to the vendor ... ;-) 

Any advice ?

Rgds

• spike
    spike Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same issue here.
    No more GPS when stand by.
    Bug?
This discussion has been closed.